Friday 10 February 2017

Kaim Hill part 2

The start of this walk
After having to abort last month's attempt at Kaim Hill  when I stopped at Lairdside Hill I decided to give Kaim Hill another go today. Rather than going back up Fairlie gorge via Lairdside again and after chatting to a local at my last visit, I opted to go via Southannan farm. I searched the internet but I could find very little info on this route so here goes. 
I spotted the railway tunnel they mentioned so parked up nearby, nice quiet neighbourhood. A walk up to the farm via a hard packed road was by far the easiest part of the day. At the farm I climbed a gate and walked south through a couple of fields of sheep, half expecting a shout from the farm. 
I knew I wanted to skirt the small forest on its right hand so started to climb through some light gorse bushes. 
Kaim Hill 1st view
Over a fence and now my first proper view of the hill. Now heading east, across another couple of open fields, this time no livestock. Over another fence then you are onto rough moorland. There is no obvious path that I could find so just keep picking spots and keep going higher heading roughly SE. 
Just off the track looking to Largs
Just by looking at the terrain and the grasses you can see the wetter areas to try and avoid. However this land is wet and boggy all over the slopes. The recent frosts have made walking a bit easier.
I come across a quad bike trail heading south and follow it for a bit but I wanted to head up again so just pick a spot that looks the driest and go for it.
Typical terrain
This is one of these wee hills that has about 4 false summits, as you look up thinking I‘m there, no your not. 
2nd false summit
At this top, looking ahead, some of the slopes ahead were fairly steep scramble, so again picked a line towards the easiest section and then reached yet another level. A check of the GPS and a slight change of direction now heading NE across a flat section, much easier walking.
Flatlands and 3rd false top
At the top I spot what I thought was the trig but it is a small false cairn. I pick up the four track trail coming from the Glenburn direction, I had read about this for a much easier walk but I wanted the full sea level to summit experience today. The track will be the route the paragliders use.
False and real trig in distance
From the cairn I could now see the real trig and 5 minutes later I was there. Great views all around today with snow showing on Hill of Stake and Misty Law but none here. It was now a very cold, say bitterly, easterly wind so no stopping for lunch here. My walk from west to east had largely sheltered me from the wind on the ascent.

Back down the same way then initially I pick up a track, but it does not last for long before descending the rough terrain.
Looking west Hunterston, Cumbrae and Arran
Still great views out west and north and I decide to have lunch at some boulders and take it in. Not sure if these were for a wall but a lot of them piled around. Just below there is a lochan and what looks like a couple of grouse butts.
Just at the bottom of the moor section I come across fresh cowpats but thankfully no sign of the beasts themselves.
Stones for what and Glenburn fishery
I now was heading back to the farm higher than my ascent and ended in some really boggy mud before cutting back across the field to the far.
I don’t know why this hill is not a sub 2000 category, it is certainly higher and tougher than my last two which were!! Maybe it is linked to Blaeloch.
Wildlife today again on the low side. Red Grouse; Skylark; Raven; a rare Woodcock and the usual woodland birds at start of walk. 
My walking distance was 4.94 miles, taking about 2 ¾ hours and I climbed 412 metres. Hard terrain but excellent views if you get your conditions right.

No comments:

Post a Comment