Wednesday 22 February 2017

Loudon Hill Short but Sweet

View from the carpark
The typical recent weather of strong winds and heavy rain disrupted my plans today. I originally had planned to climb the Graham, Blackcraig Hill in Glen Afton, but looking at the MET office rain forecast I would be very wet and cold without seeing any decent views.

Desperate for a short morning walk I drove out to Dalry to revisit Loudon Hill, another volcanic plug, short climb with great views. It is also a Hugh, I am ticking these off from the book even if I have been up them before. Rain was off and on during the drive but when I caught sight of it I could see the top so good enough. The last time I walked from Dalry (see previous blog) but today it was to be simply the hill.
Bridge over the River Irvine
I parked the car at the standard carpark, windy but dry. I opted to do the circular route going south around the back of the hill then ascending to the summit. I did not have my walking poles with me but they would have been a good idea. At least there is a wooden bridge crossing the head of the River Irvine. The ground from then on was pretty muddy and where it was just earth very slippy. Along with a heavy leaf covering and hidden greasy rocks this was a lot more awkward than it should have been.
Looked up at the crags which are used for introductory rock climbing but nobody around today.
Slippy slopes
Around the back of the hill the track is leaf covered and I find these are also a cover for deep gloopy mud. Boots well covered in the brown stuff. Up the slope hands were needed to stop me sliding on the muddy surface, did not expect to be scrambling today. Breaking out to the grassy summit a hail shower greets my arrival. 

At the trig it has eased but still very strong blustery winds. Still, I took 10 minutes or so to take in the views which even today are superb, except for the enormous amount of wind turbines. Even pockets of blue sky around. Looking south east it looks grim, glad I didn't head that way. Not many places that you can get views like this after less than 30 minutes effort.
Another slippy slide back down and followed the track round the other side and back to the car park. 
Is it summer, no.
Actually there are now pure blue skies above, quite summer looking, if not feeling. A couple of minutes later back to grim grey. It is a dramatic little hill and does look like a granite stopper.

I spend some time at the information board and enjoying the Spirit of Scotland sculpture. This area is packed full of history with links to Robert the Bruce and William Wallace, Covenanters etc. Read all about it. Then the rain came on again and time to go home.
Just over an hour up and down, about 350 feet climbed, short and sweet and I feel better. Storm Doris coming in tonight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment