Sunday 1 October 2017

Carn Glas-choire

The good lady decided that she would rather have a day at the shops than walking so I was free to do another local hill. Weather forecast indicated rain by lunchtime so I decided on a Graham close to Carrbridge and only a short drive from Aviemore. Carn Glas-Choire (Hill of the green corrie) is a Graham category at 659m.
Farmhouse with hill behind
On the B9007 I realised I had missed the turn off track and had to do a 6 point turn on the narrow road, trying to avoid a kamikaze vole which kept running about under the car, go into the grass for gods sake I was shouting, it survived.
Driving slowly back I spotted a dilapidated sign ‘Auchterteang‘, very easy to miss this, and take care on the deeply rutted car to park my car at the first fence, enough room here for a couple of cars.
Stocky angry tup
The hill and its ridge line are clearly in sight from here. A short walk towards the farm and kennels and I encountered these 3 tups. The testosterone was clearly building as the big brute at the front started to snort and paw the ground as it stared me out. Must be trying to impress the ladies in the field behind me.
Onwards past the kennels, plenty of dogs in these cages if the level of barking an indicator.
I followed the clear track on, gaining height and then briefly spoke to a couple of guys descending who had camped out overnight, they said it was cold. I also now came across a sign for the Cawdor estate. Vast deer fences stretch everywhere, there is certainly money in manufacturing these, home income or abroad?
Bothy in sight
The green hut/bothy is soon in sight, a meeting point for the estate shooters I presume. I had intended to follow the route in the SMC book but with the weather forecast I opted to follow the guidance from Walkhighlands reviewer (tummelv) and stick with the track. The high level route was a possibility to come back via if weather holds up.
Grouse tracks
The terrain is a typical patchwork of burnt and new heather, a high level grouse moor with many peat bogs. The sound of silence is quite idyllic and guaranteed to de-stress anyone, this is what I am here for the peace and quiet in a remote area. No noise apart from the red grouse bursting out at my feet calling loudly to warn their pals. This was easily the largest number I have seen on any hill this year so clearly a productive estate.
Onwards it goes
The track twists and turns its way up the hill so the views are constantly changing, albeit it is still the moor and hills but up above 4 ravens are circling and playing, parents and young? Looking back to the west and south plenty of rain evident but none hitting me yet. The light and cloud vista over the Cairngorm range, constantly changing shades of grey, still stunning.
Rain in distance
I catch site of a golden eagle and through the binos spot its partner as they cover the hills across to the east; grouse, hares and lambs beware!!
When the estate track changes into a newer laid section time to peel off to the left, an ATV track is fairly clear and this is where the terrain changes. I was glad to have the walking poles as this was boggy heather terrain, with lots of hidden holes to damage ankles or worse. 
ATV track
Although the ATV track looked an option, as tummelv stated, the ground was incredibly soft and slippery. Your feet sink in and immediately the surface gives and slips, really weird and awkward walking. I keep trying to find a stone to stand on. Doesn’t seem to bother the mountain hares as they were numerous on this top.
Hare in the white moss
Thankfully  the slipping and sliding does not last for long and the trig is reached. The reason for the ATV track is now obvious as a new fence is Although there is still a lot of cloud around the views are excellent and far reaching, particularly to the north and east. The Moray Firth is clear with the coastline beyond, there is one very big mountain far to the north I wonder what it is?
Ben Rinnes
Closer to hand, eastwards the distinctive Ben Rinnes is in and out of the sunshine. I can also see my walk from earlier in the week, the Graham, Carn na h-Easgainn. On a clearer day this would be a good place to spend some time.
Light from the summit
However the weather is closing in, a much colder wind and combined with the slippy terrain it has put me off the ridge so I just head back down the same way. A small hawk comes by fast and low, a Merlin possibly. 
Caterpillar
Spotted quite a few of these caterpillars but did not see any adults in flight so not sure what they are? Back to the green hut for my lunchtime chicken roll just as the rain appears but only for the time it takes me to eat my roll.
I must have been quieter as the dogs did not start up until I was walking past the kennels. The tup still gave me the eye as I went past then that was it back to the car.
I enjoyed this walk, an unheralded hill in many ways but plenty good enough for me.
Time: 3.31
Distance: 7.98 miles (12.84km)
Ascent: 1323 ft (403m)
































































































No comments:

Post a Comment