Sunday 8 October 2017

Middlefield Law A dead easy Sub 2000 hill

Middlefield Law cairn in sight
I was up early originally thinking about an Arrochar hill but the MWIS forecast was for very low cloud so likely to be no views and for me not worth the travel, it was similar for the Galloway hills. I wanted to be home for the big Scotland decider so opted for the polar opposite of Munro bagging, a first time dead easy sub 2000.
Middlefield Law was on my winter list but would do for today. It has to be one of the easiest Sub 2000/Marilin category as my car sat nav had us exactly at 1000 feet at the parking spot.
Start here fence on left
A pleasant drive to Drumclog, then a cross country shortcut before heading south, passing my old fishing haunt of Glengavel reservoir, towards Muirkirk on the B743. Take the first right turn, which is a B road, only visible sign was for the ‘cattery’; When you come to same either park beside it or go round corner and park at the field entrance, obviously not blocking any access.
The cairn summit can be seen from here.
View from parking area
I went through the gate on my left and followed the ATV track for a little bit, roughly to the small wind turbines (I don’t mind them this size) where I lost the trail in the deep wet boggy terrain. The field I crossed had a small group of tups but thankfully these were not testosterone loaded, the ran away but some of them had amazing horns.
Some horns
The next section was as awkward a terrain that I have walked for a while. It reminded me of Cairnsmore of Dee but on a much wetter scale. Very deep tussocky grass, plenty of deep wet moss, I was glad I had my poles to keep prodding away. There are a few gullies, up and down the bankings, where small burns are noisy, heard but not seen, so keep prodding for holes.
Getting there
Just head for the higher ground as quickly as you can where the walking eases up. All the sheep are big fearties up here, running every which way as I neared them.
Tinto in distance
The walk only took 35 minutes to get to the cairn which it turns out was hiding the trig. Although it was a grey day there were some good views through to Tinto. 
Nutberry Hill
Nearer I can see Nutberry Hill. My winter plan was to do these as a double, I could have squeezed it in today but I will leave it. To my front the top of Cairn Table was constantly in and out of cloud but still decent views down to Kames and the open moorland industrial landscape.
Cairn & trig looking to Cairn Table
 To the south west it was mainly low grey clouds. Sadly to the north too many wind turbines, although there are quite a few in other directions as well, so sad.
Still a dead easy hill where, as always, on a clear day the views would be extensive.
Now for that footie match!!

Time: 1 hour 18min
Distance: 2.07 miles  (3.33km)
Ascent: 501ft (153m)

No comments:

Post a Comment