Wednesday 14 March 2018

Ben Geary a simple hill with the unexpected bonus of a history lesson thrown in

Ben Geary Sub 2000 284m
After this morning's walk Mrs B was more interested in her art so I looked for a short hill for the afternoon and within 5 miles was the Sub2000 Ben Geary, perfect. A simple, short, uncomplicated walk which ended with the bonus of some history that I was not expecting.
The start
As I drove closer, I could see a standing stone/cairn some distance from the mast. I knew the mast was the top alongside the trig so I was intrigued.
From the start it is a simple NW via track towards Ben Halistra which then goes all the way to the summit.
I parked in front of the 20mph sign at the top of the hill from the school, a small substation and stile to get you started.
Track to mast
At times it was very wet in places but it is a short walk so no grumbles. As you climb the top of the mast shows itself from time to time. Over to my right the Calmac ferry from Uig heading to Lochmaddy creates a good v wave.
Finally once at the summit go round the back of the mast to the trig, 26 minutes from the start, short even at my pace.
Trig Western Isles on Horizon
 There are excellent views across the Minch to the Western Isles. 
Biod an Athair
The vista includes the crags from this mornings walk, Biod an Athair, stand out sharp angles.
MacLeods Tables
MacLeods Tables which may be on the agenda later in the week also feature.
From here I can see the mysterious structure, checking the map it is marked as a cairn. A bit more exercise required.
Fence to cairn
Simply follow the fence line until just before the structure, where the top barbed wire has been cut to allow you to cross without damage. The following 150 metres was probably the hardest of the walk, sinking knee deep into the heather and moss.
Cairn
As I got closer I could see that indeed it was a cairn not a standing stone and when I went around the other side there was a plaque. 
MacLeod plaque
It is a memorial to the MacLeod blacksmith who was killed by the MacDonald’s from Trotternish way during the battle of Waternish. The views over the sea aside this moor is a bleak place to die. A few moments reflection.
Loch Bay
The views open up Loch bay itself, Waternish & Stein.
Walked back to the mast, a round trip detour of .7 miles, then followed the same route back.
A simple small hill but I enjoyed this short outing. So all you MacLeods go and visit some of your history.
Ready for a beer in the Stein Inn.

Wildlife: sparse today meadow pipit, hoodie & buzzard.
Time: 1.16
Ascent: 217m
Distance: 4.5km

No comments:

Post a Comment