Thursday 1 March 2018

Criffel

An unexpected start to the day de-icing the car. Is the icy beast from the east coming early?
A full B & B brekkie and then a short drive got me to the traditional car park for Criffel, the main sub2000 on this trip. A smile brought to my face by this roadside structure, is it a rural ad hoc bus shelter?
Criffel behind bus shelter?
Walking up the track my fingers were nipping with the cold but man bravado, no point in putting on gloves too soon take them off, ha ha, bloody cold fingers lasted for a while.
Good track
A well signposted and well constructed track takes you up the early stages. A lovely mountain feel with a running burn besides, very nice in this crisp blue sky morning.
Bridge to where?
This is a steep start to a walk, my infected chest caused my heart to beat like a drum, ominous early signs. Although a pair of stonechat further brightened my mood.
Gloop starts here
Soon the open moor is reached and the next section is just a huge bog. In some ways last nights frost has helped as in parts this gloop is still frozen. At other times of the year this gloop will be a mare.
Voices up there
As I climb I hear voices but they are not ahead, they are up on Knockendoch summit, we eventually meet up at Criffel cairn.
The going is straightforward despite the on off boggy terrain. A line can be followed so no navigation issues.
The latter section is better walking but now spongy sphagnum moss seduces your feet into ankle deep water. 
The guys on the ridge move deer into my path, three small roe hinds. Surprised to see me they stop before bounding away over the ridge. Plenty of red grouse up here as well today.
Summit
Summit reached, trig point and a big cairn. A chat with the guys and time to take in the views over the Solway, superb. A helicopter flying below looked like a small insect. The tide was out but the patterns out on the estuary made for great shapes.
Solway tide out
I had spotted a walker on the same trail behind me who when reached the top went to the cairn not the trig, said nothing to us and immediately headed back down. Strange.
Knockendoch from Criffel
I was tempted to follow the guys back across the ridge to Knockendoch but as I had another hill planned for today decided to stick with the original plan.
Descent looking to Loch Kindar
On the descent 3 buzzards were in clear view, using the thermals, calling to each other, parents still teaching last years to hunt before being chased away?
A quicker than expected up and down but a serious walk with great views, glad I was here today.

Time: 2hrs 22min
Ascent: 538m
Distance: 5.7km

No comments:

Post a Comment