Monday 16 April 2018

Easabhal the hill of the cairns

I was on the island primarily to fish these great brownie waters but the wind is blowing far too strongly for safe fishing so instead I looked for a small sub 2000 nearby and Easabhal was perfect.
From the map the straightforward approach seemed to be from the west where a short marked track starts the walk. I didn’t take a reading but roughly NF758164
The start
I parked on the side road to Gearraidh na Monach, just past the ruined croft on the right as you drive is a parking slot for two cars, not a passing place.
Looking at the hill from this angle it would struggle to get a 2 out of ten. But, from the top it is a different story, well worth the short climb and if you get a clear day 10 out of 10 for the views.
Muddy track
Cross the road and follow the farm track, initially muddy, and curve left towards the fenced area where two gates save any barbed wire fence climbing.
Follow the gates
Once through the fences the moor has some very soft boggy ground, peat cutting legacies, look how deep my pole went in, wet feet and more for sure. 
Pole into 1st notch
However luckily for me the moor has recently been burnt and the blackened patches easily highlight the hard ground. A bit of zig zagging and this burnt stuff takes you almost to the top. I initially was going to head slightly left towards the outcrop but this going was so good I just straight lined towards the top.
Looking back at burnt areas
I was expecting a false top or two from the map but when I crested the ridge I could see a cairn. Good stuff but when I got closer I could see a second a short distance behind and this looked a bit bigger.
View north
When I got to the second this was the highest point, 45 minutes from the car. As I looked around I could see another two cairns and when I walked around them I went to six but probably some more are hidden.
Another cairn in distance
On the walk up I was sheltered from the wind but up here the gusts were trying hard to knock me off my feet. As I walked the cairns each has its own special view so if you come here on a good day expect to spend and enjoy the panorama. 
Looking towards Lochboisdale the water patterns of the island are apparent. The ferry is still docked, strange, but later found out that all sailings are cancelled today, south and north because of this wind.
Behind Lochboisdale Beinn Mhor still has a heavy cloud shroud. I had hoped to go up it but the forecast for my remaining days suggest not. When I do go up I want to enjoy it and get the views.
Eriskay
Barra is in a hazy mist, as is the causeway to Eriskay but it can be seen for the moment. A weather front is bringing rain so along with this wind time to descend.
Wild landscape
Back the same way enjoying the shelter from the wind and taking in the beauty of this wild and rugged countryside.
A short hill walk which I will do again on a clear day as those views are superb and can get better.

Time: 1hr 47m
Distance: 3.26 miles 5.27k
Ascent: 725ft 221m

No comments:

Post a Comment