Monday 30 April 2018

Pap of Glencoe

A day on my own so opted for the Sgorr na Ciche, the Pap of Glencoe, a spectacular walk on a cracking day with magnificent views for albeit a fair bit of effort and sweat. This is not the easiest hill particularly coming back down as lots of loose rock and stones to help you lose your footing, care required.
Pap from the village start
I started from Glencoe village, and walked to the car park along the back road before joining the Orbital path until the obvious start of the climb, signs on either side but these are the last you will see. 
Hill start through these gates
This leads to a track, hill straight ahead as the crow flies but not the walk.  Obvious path up but it seems to continue whilst the footbridge is on your right. Turn right, correct decision. Track heads towards Glencoe, looking for the dam, never did find it, I presume it is gone.
Track up side of gorge
Over the gorge the track now goes steeply uphill, lots of loose scree, boggy ground, head down, sweat it out in the surprising heat, last nights food and drink taking its revenge.
This is a Saturday and I am on the hill alone, am I missing something?
The track heads away from the Pap before coming back and climbing more steeply again.
Views opening up to Ardgour
Head down I almost miss the stones marking the turn off that is the descent route from the Aonach Eagach ridge.
Summit comes into view
 However I am continuing up and ahead I spot both the Pap and people, not alone after all.
At the Pap I miss the start of the diagonal path and go too far round before having a major hands on scrambling session up to the top, with some long drops down to loch Leven to concentrate the mind. Good fun was had anyway and almost at the top of my scramble I rejoin the track!! Reach the highest cairn area 2.02 hours from the start.
Looking west from the top, Sgorr Dearg with snow
No doubts, there are great 360 degree views to be had and today’s clear air made sure of that. 
View back Loch Leven to Kinlochleven and Mam na Gualainn
A good 20 minutes wandering about taking it all in.
Now the descent and I find the path I missed, how much easier but less fun. The tourists are out in full now as I pass them smugly on the descent, how far to go voiced often.
Wildlife: cuckoos calling all day. Two golden eagles at different times, possibly same bird, once being bombed by a raven.
Lizard enjoying the sun
 A small brown lizard sunning itself as well as a peacock doing likewise. Blossom on trees and some mountain flora, spring is finally in the air. 
Spring blossom
A good climb, starting from sea level so it’s ascent can match many a so called bigger hill.

Time: 4.03hr
Distance: 5.24m
Ascent: 2378ft

No comments:

Post a Comment