Friday 17 August 2018

All aches on Mount Blair

Hill: Mount Blair, Angus (Hill of the Moor/Plain)
Category: Graham

Height: 744m
Side view of Mount Blair
I headed east again hoping to replicate yesterdays weather pattern but it was not to be. I had noticed this hill yesterday on my drive home from Morrone.
Mount Blair is a short straightforward ascent to yet another mast, two in two days. Only a short drive away to Glen Isla.
I parked at the layby with the signs for Perth/Angus boundaries besides a small wood. The hill was covered in cloud so how would it pan out?
Enter here and follow track
A short walk along the road, watch out for fast moving timber lorries, to a gate on the right and now simply a case of following the ATV track to the top.
Looking back to where car parked
Straight away I knew my legs were not really up for this today but onwards and upwards. It was a little toughie as the grassy slopes are unrelenting. However, it was a good excuse to stop and admire the views below. Just sheep, me and changing weather.
Rain arriving
As I reach the fence which separates sheep land from the grouse moors I also met with deteriorating weather. Rain, wind and its cold. But I got a change of sheep with three very dark coats and twisting horns, not sure what they are but they scampered off as soon as I lifted the camera.
In the clag there is little to see but because it is cloud shrouded there are plenty of false summits. Getting there, nope that’s another layer through the gloom and so on.
Messy summit
Finally after 55 minutes of toil I reach the messy top. The ugly mast of course is the first thing seen. 
Viewfinder cloud lifted for about a minute
A fence and a style to get to a huge rock pile cairn for sheltering from the weather but today it was just blowing in, no good to me. According to reports the cairn is ancient and there was a suicide buried here, very sad. Finally the modern construction viewfinder but sadly as I could only see a smidgen in front of me its markings were irrelevant.
I hung about for a bit but no prospect of change so back down I went. Of course 10 minutes later it started to clear so I just took in the views from here.
Looking west Ben Vrackie in distance
Lochnager’s cairn just visible. To the west Ben Vrackie was now clear but the mass of Schiehallion behind in and out of cloud. The Angus glens to my right and all the patchwork rolling hills of the grouse moors.
Descending looking at Duchray Hill
The walk down was enjoyable taking it all in. Two more Grahams are in view close by but not for me today. I met two people, chatted a bit and hoped it had cleared until they got there.
Not the best memory but still some good views.
Later I wondered if I was bitten over the last couple of days as when back I crashed out for 2 hours and then felt like a herd of coos had walked over me, explains the aches earlier.
Wildlife: Red Grouse, Goldfinch.
Time: 1.40
Ascent: 409m
Distance: 4.7k

No comments:

Post a Comment