Thursday 2 August 2018

Delightful butterfly surprise on otherwise insignificant Cairn Pat

Hill: Cairn Pat
Category: Sub 2k/Marilyn
Height: 182m
The start
On my way to Portpatrick I couldn’t miss the opportunity to pick off my most south westerly sub2k. The added bonus was that it must be one of the lowest and hence the quickest. It was a gloomy low cloud morning hope it stays dry as no outdoor gear with me.
No obvious nearby parking so I parked the car a couple of hundred yards past the start of the walk at a deserted farm/works building.
The signpost confirms the short hike so up the brambled clad track on one side I went. Farmer came down quite fast so as I stood into the grassy verge on the other side, to let him past, I touched the wire fence, ouch it was electrified. I bet that gave him a laugh.
Clear track to top
Soon a locked gate which I climbed over to observe lots of coo pats and fresh. The track was now muddy and on full alert I spotted them but they were in the field on the other side of the hedge but this track is part of the field.
Disinterested coos
I then reached the next fence with the mast in clear view not far away. At least this gate opened. This field was also full of coos, a different kind and closer but they just stared and kept their distance.
Trig to Loch Ryan
Before long the trig appears to the right hand side of the mast.
Lake District over there somewhere

Mating pair of The Wall
Back down the trail taking a bit of time to watch the butterfly mating game that was taking place amid the brambles and thistles. Later when checking my snaps I realised that I had a 1st for me, this mating pair are called ‘The Wall’, as said never seen or heard of before so chuffed.
Red Admiral & bee
Also a nice snap of a red admiral about to be removed from the flower by the bumble bee.
Small White
A short walk and objective achieved. With the butterflies it reaffirmed that no hill no matter how insignificant could be well worth it.

Wildlife: Red Admiral, The Wall, Small White.
Time: 45min.
Ascent: 298ft
Distance: 1.59m

No comments:

Post a Comment