Wednesday 5 September 2018

Ben Wyvis and the Munro Compleatist

Ben Wyvis
Munro: 3431
It was an excellent day, I had a super, good weather, hill climb followed by two surprises on the descent.
The start
I parked at the Ben Wyvis car park fairly early but 2 cars already here. 
From here a I followed the standard path running along the north side of the stream. Walkhighlands says Aspen, birch and rowan trees alongside the stream enliven the ascent but my tree knowledge is crap but I did enjoy this section particularly when the path surroundings become more of an open landscape but giving a gradual height gain and I spot a couple ahead.
1st sighting
Turning a corner there are good views of both An Cabar and the ridge as well as Little Wyvis, maybe Thursday’s objective. I said yesterday on Cnoc Mor that the view from there disappointed as a Munro. From this side it is a full on steep ascent, a proper hill.
In full view more impressive
After some long gradual zigzags the steps are reached and now the ascent of An Cabar is full on.
The construction of these steps are an excellent piece of work and no doubt loads of effort. However, I know my knees will feel them on the descent.
I have now passed two lots, presumably the car occupants and a solo guy has passed me. 
Stairway to heaven
About two thirds of the way up some ptarmigan take flight from amongst the boulder field.
However I am pleased with this climb not taking it out of me as much as I thought.
 
1st Cairn in sight
The wind chill is noticeable so gilet on but the 1st cairn is in sight and the gradient has eased.
2nd cairn and the undulating ridge ahead
Finally the ridge is reached at the top of An Cabar. I am doing my best to follow the stony trail whilst taking in the views. I can see the guy that passed me but I can also see another figure descending from Glas Leathad Mor. If I passed two car loads how did he get here? 
Oil rigs aplenty in the distant Cromarty Firth
Never mind concentrate on the views, how many Munros can be seen from here, not really knowing the area I couldn’t guess but some recognisable shapes.
Half an hour from An Cabar I reach the trig, 2 hours 30 from the start, that’s fine. What a view. The dam at Loch Glascarnoch is prominent in the sun. The 5 Sisters, on this years list but not got there yet. So much more.
The sun has disappeared behind the clouds and it has got decidedly nippy.
I return by the same route and get a super view of Little Wyvis.
Little Wyvis
On the descent my first surprise is meeting this Munro completist, 5 years it took I am told. 
Munro compleatist
On its second round. I enjoyed the chat with the owner.
A short while later my 2nd surprise when I come across this leveret on the track.
Leveret
 This is a new born and sadly it whimpered when I touched it. I was reluctant but it would not survive out in the open so I moved it and put it amongst the nearby heather as a precaution, I hope its mother finds it.
On the way up I had not noticed how much of the ferns were changing into their autumn colours, truely another season is upon us.
Autumn colours
Overall a cracking Munro walk with outstanding long distance views, up there for the best of the year.

Wildlife: Wren, Leveret, Ptarmigan, Meadow Pipit. Red Grouse.
Time: 4.35
Ascent: 978m 
Distance:14.9km 

No comments:

Post a Comment