Wednesday 2 January 2019

No wind just baltic on Windy Standard

Hill: Windy Standard 
Category: Graham/Donald
Height: 698m
I have had this hill on my to-do list for a long time. The reason for not walking it being the huge wind turbine development that surrounds this area was still in full construction last year but hopefully during this winter holiday I would at least be spared the construction traffic if not the turbines
A very cold morning, -3 degrees, when I drew up at the final parking area before the dam. I had not planned a route as I was unsure about the extent of the construction trails. 
Climb here to Wallace stones
A short walk along the track towards the dam then off to the right up the very ice track to the rocks of Castle William (apparently these have connections to William Wallace but I know not how), where I joined the first construction route of the day.
Stalactites
The sun was low and fierce, difficult to look ahead. Bitterly cold the mitts were donned and plenty of icicles around.
The track went round Black Hill and I stuck with it to avoid the glare. 
Cold and tough firebreak
I was moving away fro Windy Standard so it was decision time. I could see a fire break leading uphill and then further on a deforested area which looked like it had track lines zig zagging up the hill.
That will do I thought. I descended across a deforested area, tough going and scared a roe deer. Entered the fire break and this was very tough going, waist high reeds, and criss crossing the very deep at times Water of Deugh. I was trying to follow a very track, deer or human and then I came to a deer shooting hide, so maybe both.
Onwards up through the fire break until relief at reaching a construction road. Enough of the fire break I headed north to find the deforested area. 
Careful walking across this wooden minefield
There was no obvious path in so I just plunged across the destroyed and decaying tree debris, tough walking. What I thought was a meandering track was actually very deep excavation trenches, more obstacles. 
The sweat was flowing when I finally reached another construction road. This took me all the way to Windy Standard, no complaints.
Looking to Blackcraig & Blacklorg
When I cut across the grass to the trig there were fresh footprint indentations in the soft damp grass but nobody else seen. 1 hour 44m to trig. 
Cairnsmore of Carsphairn
Excellent views all around even if the sun was glaring as I looked at Carsphairn & Moorbrock, but it was bitterly cold so no hanging about. Just ignore the turbines beside you.
I was tempted to look for the Deils putting stone but instead headed towards Alhang and walked until the fence.
Fence & track descent
Then followed this at times wet and boggy track back over Wedder and Lamb hills and back to a construction road junction I had passed on my outward leg. 
Large deforested section
From here I looked over the earlier deforested stretch and it looks big from here.
Then descended with excellent views across the reservoir to the Blackcraig circuit.
Craigdarroch Hill
Finally I spot a couple walking a dog then three figures across the water.
Back at the parking area and there were almost 20 cars parked up. Where were all the people?
Actually shorter than I expected but a challenging at times first walk of the year, in crisp blue skies, the new year is up and running. And I don’t intend to be so close to these wind turbines ever again.

Wildlife: Dunnock, Roe deer.
Time: 3.05
Ascent: 1516ft
Distance: 8.05m

No comments:

Post a Comment