Saturday 16 February 2019

Arran Coastal Way Whiting Bay - Lamlash

Walk: Whiting Bay - Lamlash Arran Coastal Way….then to Brodick
Category: Long Distance trail
Stage 1
Recovering from some surgery I was not allowed to do anything strenuous but being driven house crazy I risked a trip to Arran for this short walk.
Like many sections of this islands coastal walk it involved a mixture of terrains. The odd sandy beach sections, some very rough beach/boulder walking as well as the expected road sections.
The start of the walk Whiting Bay
When I got off the bus at the southern end of Whiting Bay it was a crisp blue sky morning but the wind had a cold bite to it, zip up,
Still, the views were already stunning as I perused the way forward, the curving beach, Holy Isle peaking out behind.
Thankfully the tide was out so it was straight onto the rocky beach to the other end of Whiting Bay.
Cool bus stop
Just before I turned down the minor road to the church I spotted this cracking bus shelter, more like this please.
Easy to miss the cut in marker
Past the houses onto the stone beach for a very short section before cutting onto a parallel path (easy to miss the signpost), horses in one of the fields but they were uninterested in me.
Holy Isle
At this grassy area it was a superb viewpoint across the water to Holy Isle and turning also a good view along to Lamlash. There is a view marker for those unfamiliar with the area. This stretch must be a good spot for otters but not seen today.
Lamlash ahead
Now comes the boring bit as the track heads inland, followed by some road walking before heading back down to the coast.
Start of boardwalk
This is the start of the on off boardwalk section. The well built section had to be stepped carefully as the boards were very slippy at times and I was concerned about my wound, do not fall!!
The boards only last for a short while before a steep and very muddy track down to the shore.
Now the real test for this leg, a really awkward walking section. Thankfully the tide was out, if not this would very testing for some walkers. There is no route through the trees so it would be tide top hugging time.
Glad tide is out
This is a mixture of waters edge walking comprising very slippery rocks and boulders, piled up seaweed, the odd sandstone sections and on off boardwalks. A section to remain focused if injury to be avoided.
Low water easy walking
Finally I get to walk on a beach section with Lamlash not far ahead of me. When I reached the houses I thought I could continue on the beach but not so due to two burns. I negotiated the first one but the second was too deep and wide so backtracked to the houses and a path to Lamlash.
This section was a sad reminder of life and death. My operation could have been a life or death scenario but ended up not being and I enjoyed today because I could.
Holly
There was this bush adorned with woollen Pom Poms. Intrigued I read it was a memorial to a young local girl, Holly, who had taken her life. A sign asked people to take some and give them to young people with a reminder about mental health guidance. I did just that to mine with a hug to the girls.
Brodick new track
My walk finished the trail leg in Lamlash but I had enough time before the ferry so I walked the new path, which follows the main road, back to Brodick.
I had completed the Brodick - Lamlash coastal section last year so now only the Lagg - Whiting Bay section via the headlands to complete the Way. Need to check the tide tables for that one.
A good walk, more taxing than I should have done, poignant with Holly so a day to remember.

Wildlife: Red Breasted Merganser, Oystercatcher, Curlew, Mallard, Redshank, Mute Swan, Black Headed Gull, Common Gull, Lesser Black Backed Gull,

Time: 4.04
Ascent: 1952ft 
Distance: 10.43m 

No comments:

Post a Comment