Thursday 7 February 2019

Moncrieffe Hill a woodland walk through Pictish history

Hill: Moncrieffe Hill
Category: Sub2k
Height: 223m

On my way north I decided to break the trip and ascend Moncrieffe Hill which is just outside of Perth. Although it is a small sub 2k it was the history of the hill that fascinated me, more of that later.
Rain was forecast from early afternoon but as I passed Cumbernauld it was the thick fog that concerned me. A hill with no view, hopefully not. It was not until I passed Gleneagles did the fog lift and break with no little relief from me.
The coordinates did a good job until I was on the last minor road, alarm bells I passed a sign for the hills car park. Trust instincts, ignore sat nav and turn, a good choice.
This is the Earn parking area as per the Walkhighlands route.
It is a woodlands trust site so there is a good information board and a leaflet holder, actually with leaflets inside, so a quick read before the walk. 
Barren broadleaf trees
There are plenty of routes to mix up your walk, many unofficial tracks also divert from the coloured routes. I followed the red route and walked almost two miles back in the direction I had just come but this time it was woodland not main road. In sections the broadleaf trees are barren, it will be a totally different walking experience in a few months. Some monster Douglas Firs, give me a sore neck looking up to their canopy.
Totally tranquil walking, no people, just the sound of woodland birds some singing and others raucous, trying to attract mates and chase off rivals. None more raucous than the Jays, what a noise.
I expected snow or mud but neither, a hard packed and at times icy trail but good for walking.
All types of woodland birds  including a pair of bullfinch, haven't seen these for ages. A woodpecker drills into a tree, heard but not seen. Apparently there are green woodpeckers here, but they are not the drillers. A gentle coughing up the hill, no voices heard so unlikely to be people, deer I suspect. 
Snowdrops brighten the terrain
Snowdrops carpet and brighten up the walk, many small patches, spring is coming.
Bench overlooking Perth
Finally the trail turns and climbs and I start pecking a bit, views of Perth appear but it is not a day for sitting on a bench unless you have brought something warm to drink and I haven't.

Finally after some twists and turns, more views and I end up at the high point, the hilltop fort of Moredun. I had read a little before the trip but I had not fully realised the extent of the Pictish forts and battles around here. 
Top with a higher view of Perth
Warlords Angus and Alpin battled away at this sight with their body painted warriors it would have been noisy and bloody. Ashamed of my lack of knowledge of our history. The hill top defenders definitely had the advantage.
A grand view to Fife and Bishop Hill
On a better day the views would be outstanding but today in the misty landscape still good enough. An excellent 360 degree viewpoint indeed. This is the high point but a short walk away is Moncrieffe Hill itself.
On the descent I spook a pair of roe deer who are obviously used to people. The only moved a short distance, stood and stared, but as soon as they heard the noise of the camera opening they disappeared.
""A nice little leg stretcher before the main event, salmon salmo, a silver bar of springer salmon, maybe, but that's for tomorrow.

Wildlife: Coal Tit, Great Tit, Bullfinch, Jay, Crow, Buzzard, Chaffinch, Dunnock, Fieldfare, Blackbird, Roe Deer.
Time: 1.55
Ascent: 1081ft
Distance: 5.37m

No comments:

Post a Comment