Thursday 28 March 2019

A short Ochil tramp to Dumyat

Hill: Dumyat
Category: Sub2k
Height: 418m
Dumyat is a popular hill in the Central belt, an outlier of the Ochils, with a dose of Scottish history thrown in. Way back it was a Pictish highpoint, particularly the old fort which has fantastic views over the Stirling area and the Wallace monument.
Dumyat centre old fort to right
Any guards would have to have been pretty robust on a day such as this. At the top of Dumyat the wind was so ferocious that not being blown over was an achievement in itself. I was glad that I had not gone higher today. Looking over the higher hills I could not spot any walkers, wise people.
In fact I was intending to walk Kings Seat on my way up for a fishing day but with the forecast opted for the lower hill of my two.
It was dry when I started the tourist trail and I wondered if this was a good idea with the number of people descending the track. Too popular for me.
Wallace monument in shower
Looking across to the Wallace monument a shower was blasting through but thankfully missing me.
I layered up and went up the hill track, too many clothes on, too warm but decision made to keep the gear on as the descent might be different, it was!
The descending walkers were mostly Asian of all ages and sexes, great to see, many were friendly but sadly some need to be educated in hillwalking. On a few occasions they covered the full track with no intention of making any room. Well my low centre of gravity and stocky shape means that a couple of times with no where else to go I stood my ground and they bounced off me rather than than their intention, sad but lesson learned.
Top in sight
Back on the walk it is a straight tourist track to the top from here. There is a more strenuous route from Blairlogie but not for me today. It does have excellent views down to the plains and the industrial belt.
Towards Grangemouth
Even in bad weather it would be difficult to lose this eroded track. it did not take that long to get to the top but the wind meant taking a snap without a shake was very difficult.
Summit looking to Fife
Whilst trying to balance I could still take in the excellent views across the Forth. The tracks to the other big Ochil hills were clear without walkers, wonder why?
Modern War Memorial
The war memorial, to the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, is modern and eye catching but does seem in some aspects out of place, just my view and probably not universal.
The fort hill from Dumyat
On the descent I went cross country to the old fort summit known as Castle Law. Dry on the way up but the first of two very heavy showers hit on this summit so limited time to take in the views but still a good look back to Dumyat.
Dumyat from fort hill
My descent was hood up head down. Short showers but very strong my face well stung from the hail.
A short sharp excellent walk that I will repeat but in the longer version.
Of course blue skies back at the car.

Wildlife: None, wise of them
Time: 1.32
Ascent: 890 ft
Distance: 4.29 km

No comments:

Post a Comment