Thursday 28 March 2019

No royalty just common old me on Kings Seat

Hill: Kings Seat
Category: Donald
Height: 648m
After a full day wading in the mighty Tay searching for the elusive salmon I had forgotten how much a strong current takes out of your legs. I soon found out when I started Kings Seat. Additionally, I only had my rigid winter boots so the first half hour or so was painful as my calves rebelled.
Was it only the other day I was up here in knee deep snow? Now there was only an isolated patch or two.
Castle with Bank Hill behind & Kings Seat peaking out behind it
I passed the impressive Castle Campbell which has some repairs taking place, at least I think that was the noise. It does seem an odd spot for a major castle at the top of the gorge but attackers managed to get at it a few times.
Dollar Glen
Through the impressive, tight and steep Dollar Glen with the evocatively named Burn of Sorrow running fast as it cuts through the gorge, bet its aptly named. Delighted to get a close up of a red squirrel, surprisingly the first of the year.
Not long and I am out on the open hilly moor. 
As normal in the Ochils the going underfoot was pretty good, just my legs were the problem.
Open ground with Bank Hill ahead
The climb to Bank hill was steep enough. At times walking can be amazing for dafties such as me. As I headed up Bank Hill I was looking to a big hill on my right wondering which other steep biggie it was, noticed a trig or something. Then it dawned this is where I was going, legs protested further.
As always you are rarely alone on these hills, a double going up the steep ascent, a trio ahead and a solo behind me.
The forecast had potential cloud cover over the tops but so far so good.
There is a straight forward ATV trail for much of the lower slopes 
It is such a popular hill that once the gradient steepened regular eroded footmarks to follow.
I was in a shut down mindset as I laboured up the slopes, wallowing in deep thought about catching that blinking salmon next month, two opportunities then, but also four more hills to choose. 
Spitfire memorial
On a regular basis the hills fool me. As I climbed a steep section I unexpectedly spotted a cairn and rejoiced, the top, but it was far too soon. It was a memorial for three WW2 spitfires that crashed, one pilot survived. A moments pause to reflect on that experience, one can only imagine.
Sheltered cairn
A couple more false tops then the big sheltered cairn where the couple were sitting in having lunch.
I hoped that they went further on to the true summit, but maybe not I am sure more than few assume the big cairn is the top. 
True summit
I did walk on and by the time I reached it the clouds enveloped me. Disappointed as I hoped to see the tops of Andrew Gannel & Ben Cleugh.
Despite my protesting legs I got to the top in less than 90 minutes, happy with that. 
Fife with West Lomond prominent
Never mind I had eaten a full breakfast so no hanging about, retraced my steps enjoying the views across the Forth, Fife etc and of course these fantastic rolling hills. As well as excellent views of Dollar itself, no-one on the golf course.
Banks of Dollar
On the descent I had a closer look at the Banks of Dollar, an unexpected craggy area for these hills.
Back at the car a piece of a nice strawberry coconut cake from M & S did the trick before the drive home.
A very good short walk with fab views, what’s not too like? 

Wildlife: Meadow pipit, Skylark, Buzzard, Red Squirrel,
Time: 2.32
Ascent: 1843ft 
Distance: 5.35 

No comments:

Post a Comment