Monday 24 June 2019

Short walk, great views Meall Mor Rannoch

Hill: Meall Mor Rannoch Moor
Category: Sub2k
Height: 492m

On my way to Fort William for the ADRC walking week I decided to have a short leg stretcher on the way up. I have had this on my mind for ages so today is the day.
It is only short walk back from the parking area and then across rough moorland.
I had previously read about the memorial cairn as well as the excellent views for not a lot of effort.

As I came through Tyndrum the rain came on and I thought this wee walk would not happen. After all it was just to be a leg stretcher in good weather not full on walking gear!!
Meall Mor from parking area
However, when I reached the lay-by the rain was off, so boots and gaiters on, rain jacket as well, just in case but travelling light.
Thankfully the grand prix driving on the A76 had passed by and I crossed the road safely.
The short hill of Meall Mor is directly ahead. For the first two hundred metres or so it is wet and boggy, just wade through it.
Use the rocks for easier walking
There are many tracks crisis crossing but I suspect these are deer trails, not enough humans trek up here, but they guide you along. The terrain is typically moorland with lots of tussocks.
On the slopes just pick a line and go for it. There is a rocky thrust that I followed on and off, much easier walking on the stone.
Some very good views already over the lochans looking over to Perthshire & Schiehallion’s obvious peak in the distance.
Looking across to memorial cairn
Before long the high point cairn is reached and over to the north there is the well constructed memorial cairn which the following tells the story.
View over Rannoch Moor from memorial cairn
Text from Geograph internet site.
'IN MEMORY OF
RONALD HARVEY
WHO DIED DEC 1 1962
AGED 26
The following are the words inscribed on the plaque attached to the cairn:
WE CAST HIS ASHES TO ROAM
IN THE WINDS OVER THESE HILLS
WHICH HE KNEW, LOVED AND ROVED SO MUCH
WE LEAVE HIM TO TRAVEL ALONE
THE PATHS WE TREKKED TOGETHER
HE SHALL BE WITH US WHEN WE RETURN
THE ROAR OF THE STAG
THE CRY OF THE BIRD
THE SIGH OF THE WIND
SHALL BE HIS CONSTANT COMPANIONS
HIS PASSING
HAS BEEN THE SUNSET OF OUR FRIENDSHIP
I was contacted in December 2009 by a site visitor who gave me the following information:-
The Ronald Harvey Cairn was made by my grandfather Joe Howitt along with Jim Harvey. There were five climbers but there is only one left.
His grandfather would appear to be the only surviving climber and visited the cairn regularly to maintain it but he has not been there for four years due to failing health'.

View towards Glencoe
Excellent views despite the rain coming in from the west.
In this isolation I was surprised to see another walker appear from behind. A brief chat interrupted by the rain.
I headed back down the same way to the car. Found a meadow pipits nest, only wildlife seen.
An hours exercise, great views and a warm up for tomorrow's biggie.


Wildlife: Meadow pipit.
Time: 1.02
Ascent: 224m
Distance: 3.2km

No comments:

Post a Comment