Monday 26 August 2019

Roller coaster hill walk to Whitehope Heights

Hill: Whitehope Heights
Category: Donald
Height: 
Last night's forecast was for a return of summer so I made plans to do some more Moffat hills.
View from parking area
On the drive down there were more grey than blue skies, not good news. When I got out of the car at the walk start the temperature reading was 19 deg, it felt nothing like that in the chilly breeze. My target today was the Donald, Whitehope Heights. From this viewpoint I suspect that the top hidden in the clouds was my target and indeed that proved the case. 
Start of walk clouds already rolling in
As soon as I started I was squelching and splashing through sodden marshy grass and this was the case for the whole walk. I had hoped it would be drier up top but not too be.
The early stages were enjoyable but it is a rollercoaster of a hill walk, up and down constantly. The Devil's Beeftub is to your side but from this angle there are no views of it, leave that for the descent. For about half the walk you are following the Annandale Way so there are some markers around if you need them. 
Green, green and more green
Surprised to find at the top of Annandale hill a trig and a seat presumably to enjoy the views back to Moffat, not great today. A pair of kestrels hover, I wonder if it is a parent teaching junior to hunt?
Flapping and calling behind me breaks the silence, an unkindness of ravens appear, over 20 of them. Maybe they think I will be lunch. A deer fence appears out of the gloom on my right but no beasties seen today.
Through the gate keep following the fence into the clouds
Green is the colour, grassy hills but no flora or fauna to brighten up the landscape. But if in doubt just follow the fence.
Finally after a few ups and downs I reach the cairn where the Way heads back down the valley but my route continues up the wet grassy slopes.
I hit the cloudline at 550m and it is grey and gloomy from now on. In the clouds it was a full on weather depression, the wind was gusting strong and cold, but at least it didn’t rain.
The gate saved a climb
The deer fence has been coming and going in the murk but eventually I reach the gate in the deer fence and shortly the cairn is reached, 1 hour 25.
Not much too see from the top
I was in no hurry but no point in hanging around here. There is the option of going on to Hart Fell but why, this is not going to lift. 
What is about to emerge from the black cocoon?
On the way down I spot this black cocoon, I wonder what is inside it?
Returned by the same route except I took a different route up Great Hill to get a good view of the Devil's Beeftub. The cloud was now down to these lower levels so a wet tramp back to the car. 
I wonder what happened to that summer weather? 

Wildlife: Peacock butterfly, Wheatear, Kestrel, Raven, Meadow pipit
Time: 2.51
Ascent: ft (632m)
Distance: m (10.1km)

No comments:

Post a Comment