Sunday 29 September 2019

Up to see the hame of Macbeth on route to Kings Seat

Hill: Dunsinane and King's Seat, Collace
Category: Sub2k
Height: 377m

On my way to another fishing trip I had a look at nearby hills and this caught my attention. I wanted to climb Kings Seat but it had the added bonus of initially climbing the hill fort reputed to be Macbeth's. Was this really the hill fort where he was brought down by Malcolm? Legend says yes but nobody can say for certain other than there was a fort here, indeed two the original probably another very early Pictish one. 
Dunsinane Hill to the right
Dunsinane is famed as the location of Macbeth's castle in Shakespeare's play, where it was predicted that he would never vanquished be, until Great Birnam Wood to high Dunsinane shall come against him. 
If the prophecy of the Three Witches was correct legend implied Malcolms men cut down trees from Birnam to disguise themselves. Maybe but Birnam is quite a few miles away surely there would be closer woods!!
Start
Still enough of that time for a walk. The initial wee hill climb up Dunsinane Hill to the fort had my calves complaining and a sweat dripping not a good sign, MacBeths doing. 
Kings Seat small point in distance
Short sections of jaggy gorse to get through, painful.
Still soon there and there are good views, if you ignore the quarry, but much better from Kings Seat, why was that not a fort?
The way ahead from Dunsinane cairn
Leaving the hill you have to descend 70 metres to the bottom to climb up Black Hill. A faint track winds its way up but the coos use this too and from the pats they are nearby, on alert.
Good views looking back to Dunsinane Hill.
Small mast no more estate track after this
There is a small sub station up here as well as plenty of dead heather. Another walk across a grouse moor without seeing or hearing one.
After this the terrain deteriorates big stile, faint tracks but mostly overgrown heather and boggy moor, hard walking but I can see my target at least a mile away.
I also spot the coos, a much larger head and with calves. Thankfully they were on the moor to my side so I did not have to walk through them.
This really was tough walking until I met a track after Little Dunsinane. This grassy track leads you along the high ground passing very dilapidated grouse butts below on the left. It runs parallel to the trig where you now have to take a line and clamber through more heather and moor upwards to the trig. This is clearly not a frequently visited hill.
Looking back to Dunsinane from Kings Seat
As promised the views are extensive and on a clearer day would show beyond the Angus hills and more. Although the masts on Craiglow are clearly seen. The predicted heavy rain had missed me but it was passing close by on both flanks so no time to linger.
The coos had now moved in to ambush me on the return track so I decided to head for the Broch on the map and contour round the hills.
Follow Coo track around the hill
What appeared to be a track looking down from Kings Seat turned out to be the route the main body of cattle used, it was a muddy boggy route, as you can imagine deep muddy holes, the joys.
Follow dyke ground was rough walking
I headed across the pathless moor, swamp grass my height at times, to reach an old dyke which I then followed, not without difficulty back round the hills. Of course once you see your destination the last half mile or so was probably the most awkward terrain.
Saw these that had been pecked not sure which bird laid these
Still back on the cattle track I met up with the ascent trail and back to the car just as the rains arrived. Just two miles away on my drive back the roads were mini rivers I was very lucky to be dry.
That's number 90 in this category, should get to the ton by the end of the year.
A short sharp walk with a bit of interesting history thrown in. I just hope the salmon are in good form tomorrow.

Wildlife: Snipe, meadow pipit, skylark, red admiral
Time: 1.59
Ascent: 954ft 
Distance: 4.17m 

No comments:

Post a Comment