Saturday 8 February 2020

Torlum a short stroll in Perthshire

Hill: Torlum Perthshire
Category: Sub2K
Height: 393m
I took a break from my trip to add another Sub2k towards my next century of these hills.
What a cracking day but as usual for me finding the start was the most difficult. Over the last year I have travelled more minor one track roads than in my whole life. But if you can take your eyes away from the short road ahead perspective there is some beautiful countryside to admire, stuff you would not see unless you were heading for these hills, or a local.
I intended to start from Balloch sawmill but this was a working operation and no parking.
Back up start
So I drove along the road where I found a gated entrance, this would do. The map showed that I would meet up with the other track at the top of the woods.
There was a short tramp uphill through the woods, birds constantly singing, they think it is Spring, wait a few days birdies!!
Fantastic trees but has this one been targeted?
Maybe it was spring. Only a baselayer and a jacket but the sweat was heavier than expected, no booze last night to blame, just my old body.
A group of primary school kids came down, happy as can be and dressed in more branded outdoor designer kit than you see in Tiso’s.
I followed an obvious track most of the way up then through two gates and then the blue sky was my ceiling.
Cross country time
The map showed the trail going away from the hill so I decided to leave it and follow the treeline for a bit before heading across the dead bracken aiming for the top. Glad the bracken was on the floor and not in my face. 
A well used path
Almost there when I come across a clear path. Had I followed the track and not cut off a far easier ascent. don’t always trust the map, new trails are made. Still it was an easy hill so no issues, a leg warmer for tomorrow.
Auchnafree Hill in background
Finally arrived at the trig to be rewarded with excellent views over to Ben Chonzie and Auchnafree Hill as well as down to Crieff.
Crieff
Definitely not the worst summit view that I have enjoyed.
Straight forward back down the same way. 
Objectives achieved a leg stretcher, another tick and good views on a glorious day.

Wildlife: Kestrel; Buzzard; Red Kite; Chaffinch; Woodpecker.
Time: 1.20
Ascent: 288m
Distance: 4.6km

No comments:

Post a Comment