Tuesday 28 January 2020

Nae cairn on Hare Cairn, nor hares!!

Hill: Hare Cairn
Category: Sub2K
Height: 516m
Second Hill of the day so after a short drive I parked up at the car park at Backwater dam, I could claim another hill on the other side of the reservoir it time allowed. The place seemed busy but I assumed that this was normal with dog walkers but not at all. Turns out that a Great Grey Shrike, a very rare bird, was in the trees somewhere so all the twitchers were around. Only 3 in the UK at this moment in time.
Backwater reservoir I am heading to the end
A long walk along the side of the dam, 35 minutes or so of tarmac. But at times there were also side stretches of grass which took some of the pain out of it. Spoke to a few twitchers but only one had seen the Shrike.
The correct gate other one down to my left
Once onto the grass at the end of the loch I had a brief dilemma as there were two gates, one skirting the woods and the other right into them.
Good path mainly used as a circular walk of the reservoir
Studied the map and opted for the one right into the woods, right choice. A pleasant walk through the woods but not a sound of any birds.
I reached another gate which was now the end of the woods.
Finally ascending should have been a lot easier than reality
A left turn and it was time for the climb. I had considered the circuit including Creigh Hill but my legs said no particularly if I was going to do the walk with the Ayr group tomorrow.
I was not making the best progress up the hill, tiredness in the legs, not as fit as I used to be.
Even in my unfit state I was aware that this was a large deer fence that I was following, hoping and praying there was a gate, didn‘t fancy a climb. 
Gap in wire more helpful if had been at the bottom
I reached the fence junction and although there was no gate someone had cut a hole in the fence. Debated to leave the rucksac this side but too much stuff in it. Pushed it through then tried to get myself through, all good apart from the heel, need to get more flexibility, Pilates or Yoga?
Looking back typical terrain
The final walk to the trig made me indulge in my internal debate of was this last section worth the effort for another 20 metres of ascent to reach a trig and the high spot? Of course it was but the terrain was boggy moor and following the old fence plenty of old wire lying around to ensnare you.
Trig ahead on the cusp of another weather front
Roughly an hour 15 to the top. A cold wind and an ok view but not somewhere to linger. A trig was here but no sign of any cairn. I had also been looking but no sign of any hares if that indeed was what it was named after.
Angus hills on the descent
I simply retraced back the way I came, initially with a nice view down the hill to the lochan hidden away, wonder if it is a fishing water?
Burning grouse moors
Looking around and taking in the scenery the heather was burning on the moors, taking advantage of the lack of snow.
Nice reservoir Creigh hill on the distant left
But the track was taking its toll, these boots are not made for this terrain. Sore feet and calves.
Back at the dam and all the other cars had gone, maybe the Shrike had as well.

Wildlife: Grey Heron; Buzzard; Raven; Red Grouse; Meadow Pipit; Cormorant; Red Legged Partridge; Goldeneye.
Time: 2.37
Ascent: 775ft (255m)
Distance: 6.45m (10.8km)

No comments:

Post a Comment