Monday 27 January 2020

Badandun Hill a fine alternative

Hill: Badandun Hill (Angus) 
Category: Graham
Height: 740m

I set out to do Mealna Letter as my first hill today but as I approached the parking area there were gunmen hiding in the bushes!! I spoke to one of them who said they were going to be shooting in the woods that I would be skirting. So no go.
Off then to my back up hill, a few miles down the road where I found a parking area near the gate at the start of the walk, just after the 15th century Forter Castle. Badandun is a fine viewpoint hill in its own right.
The start no climbing there is a side gate
The initial walk is also a section of the Cateran Way, a circular long distance footpath. 
Looking towards Cateran section to Spittle of Glenshee
Fresh cattle poo on the track but thankfully they were down near the river so no issues.
A small woodland had a song thrush sitting at the top of the highest tree taking in the scenery.
Lower slopes of Badandun Hill
The initial slopes of the hill are directly ahead with a few options to ascend it. There was a newly constructed ugly estate track on the left and a grassy path directly ahead as well as the Cateran Trail which goes off to the right (my descent route). My planned route was the ugly track so off I went.
At least views looking North
At least the scenery was improving as I ground my way up the bulldozed track, which was initially good but became pretty muddy at times.
Interesting light for a while
Some splendid views towards the northern Glenshee hills and looking back some interesting light and skies. Although it was dry it was a lot colder than yesterday.
Looking back to the start Mount Blair on right
The disadvantage of this route is that there are no views of the top, just as well the other views are there. Down below it looks like a very remote section of the Cateran trail.
However after a few twists and turns it was not too long before the trig was spotted.
View north
The track takes you right to the trig. Not the best route but it had to be done. 
Zoomed in
Excellent views north over the Glenshee hills with Mayar & Dreish closer by.
Despite the very nice views it was cold so time to move on. A roe deer spots me and scarpers over the top.
Steep moor descent
On the descent I walked with the path for a while but decided to cut across the contour of the hill and it was good to be off an estate track.
I was on a grassy path for a while and the highlight of the day, just ahead a mountain hare in its full ermine winter coat. I thought I spotted a golden eagle earlier and if so this hare would be easy pickings. It was the only one I saw so presumably they are slaughtered up here.
The steep slopes of the moor took me back down to the Cateran Way which I followed back. 
Looking back down the Cateran Way
This is truly remote countryside with a satisfying sense of isolation.
Auchintaple Loch
Up a slight rise and Auchintaple Loch came into view. You can detour and circle the loch but today I continued on the current path until I met the junction.
Followed the out route, the cows were still down below so an easy walk back to the car.
A decent hill with a good circuit and only one other person spotted so not one for the tourists.
Wildlife: Mountain Hare Ermine; Buzzard; Raven; Song Thrush; Red Grouse; Roe Deer.
Time: 2.37
Ascent: 501m
Distance: 10.2km

No comments:

Post a Comment