Wednesday 1 January 2020

Still rambling alongside the Clyde. Strahclyde Park - Crossford

Walk: Clyde Walkway; Strathclyde Park - Crossford
Category: Long Distance Walk
Height: n/a

The blasted lurgy had still not cleared but I desperately needed an outing so a low level solo effort was required. I wanted the River Clyde Walkway completed this winter so another leg of this was ideal.
Gaiters on mud a theme today
Dropped off by the bus at the Park entrance and headed back to the road bridge underpass. Although it looked like the water had covered up here the sign posted short diversion was not required but gaiters on from the start. 
Impressive railway viaduct
Before long I was beside the massive Ross Viaduct pity about the spray painting. The path enters the RSPB Barons Haugh Reserve and the first issue of the day, eroded banking so a diversion away from the Clyde.
View from the hide
I had hoped to sit in a few of the hides but could only get to one of them and of course the birds were all over at the other hides.
As per previous reports there are next to no route markers so on this section the OS map was required to stop me going too far away from where I wanted to be.
At one point I was being steered inland so I decided to follow a private road back towards the Clyde. It thankfully became a track that eventually led me back to re-join the diverted walkway track. 
An example of the erosion
With all the recent rain there are large chunks of banking washed away at various sections, nature reclaiming its territory. 
Open countryside for a change

The guide said that the next section is often flooded in winter but thankfully I did not have to take the inland detour. It was nice to be walking beside the river again. 
No cows for once
Plenty of dirty sheep but thankfully no cows out today.
Sadly the grass track ends too soon and back on a hard surface passing a bridge carrying pipes over the river. Here you pass the ruins of a huge mansion, the Bishop of Glasgow's summer retreat apparently.
Bishops summer retreat
Away from the river again and up and through Highmainshead Wood.
At a cross section go right along the track until you hit the busy road.
Cross and head down to Cardies Bridge and turn right into Mauldslie Woods, a proper tree cut marker. 
Interestingly this section is non stop markers even when they are not required. I think the put the whole routes marker posts into this one section!!
Maudslie Bridge
The route is a mixture of riverside and woodland as it heads to Maudslie Bridge. I presume because the bridge is closed I was the only wanderer for many a mile.
Knowing the bridge was closed I had decided to push on to Crossford and hope that I would get there in time for the occasional rural bus, a long wait if I didn’t.
Reminds me of sections of the River Ayr
The finale today was a 4 mile section and it was at times very similar to my local River Ayr walk. Thankfully it stayed mainly beside the river with a few inland sections, to miss the big houses seeing walkers!
Where there are rivers there is industrial legacy and old ruins dotted here and there would be factory river inlets and outlets.
You also pass the remains of out buildings which belonged to Milton Lockhart House which no longer exists here. Unbelievably it was bought by a Japanese actor, dismantled, transported to Japan and rebuilt as was over three years, amazing.
Downriver view from Crossford bridge
The village of Crossford has plenty of expensive houses to look at as I make the approach to yet another bridge and the end of my walk.
A good walk particularly as it stayed dry. My son phoned and said it was hammering down in Glasgow. For once a sound decision. This area was the orchard of Scotland with plenty of indicators as to its past success.

Wildlife: Bullfinch; Buzzard; Wren; Cormorant; Dunnock; Gooseander; Blue, Great & Coal tits; Mallard; Wigeon; Wood Pigeon; Blackbird; Carrion Crow; Goldeneye; Magpie; Teal; Grey Squirell x 3.

Time: 3.57
Ascent: 306m
Distance: 19.3km

No comments:

Post a Comment