Sunday 26 January 2020

It's a hundred up on Lendrick Hill

Hill: Lendrick Hill
Category: Sub2K
Height: 456m
On my way up to Dunkeld to escape the grim Ayrshire weather I decided to tick off another couple of Sub2k’s starting with Lendrick. 
As per normal my sat nav brought me in a different way than I had in my mind, so finding the starting point was once again the challenge.
Tourist route
Finally found it and parked at the start of the forestry road, surprised to see a sign for a Public route to the hill. No exclusivity here. 
Head up there
Just as I started off another car arrived, a local or a tourist like me? He stayed in his car so off I went.
Almost missed it
Followed the wide forest track/road in a wee world of my own when I spotted the mini cairn ie small pile of stones where I should turn off. I thought it was much further on. Also a signpost just in case you missed the stones heading up into the trees.
Another signpost don't want us getting lost
There is an obvious path, quite steep as my blowing lungs would testify. Also with all the wet weather the ground was giving way. Fine going up but I anticipated a good chance of a heel slip and muddy trousers on the descent.
Top up there
Before long you clear the trees and a deer fence comes into view, I guess the stile is the way to go.
For a small hill it has both a cairn and a trig. Firstly the cairn then onto the trig. The weather is gloriously sunny over Perthshire but I am on the boundary line of the Ochils and have the west coast cold, cloud and smirry rain.
Small cairn with trig beyond
Nevertheless this is my 100th Sub2k so spent a moment reflecting.
Loch Lomond and the Lomond hills
There are good views particularly over to Fife. Loch Leven prominent as well as the Lomond Hills. I counted 9 Sub2k’s that I could see from here and I am sure there will be plenty more.
Indeed, one of them, across the way is Innerdouny Hill, shortly to be my next top. 
It was chilly so time to head down when just at the stile I met the other car owner. More of a local than tourist, out walking his dogs. 
There were some birds around the top of the pines and delighted that I had brought the binos as I got a clear view of a Crossbill. Been years since I saw one so a special moment to mark the ton up. Happy now.
Steele's Knowe's turbines
Taking it slowly I managed to avoid a slip so enjoyed the gentle saunter back to the car. An earlier conquest Steele’s Knowe’s turbines just over the way.
A simple hill made special by the Crossbill and the hundred marker.
Let’s see if the sun shines on Innerdouny!

Wildlife: Crossbill; Wren; Buzzard; Carrion Crow.
Time: 1.14
Ascent: 249m
Distance: 3.29km

No comments:

Post a Comment