Monday 27 January 2020

Innerdouny Hill the highest Sub in the Ochils

Hill: Innerdouny Hill
Category: Sub2K
Height: 497m

After Lendrick Hill I headed along the B934  to find my start for this hill. I had read that it was important to start from the correct parking area, the 2nd one, but I suppose that is determined by which way you are coming.
The correct parking area
I came across a Littlerigg car park sign, slowed and went past but instinct kicked in. I knew all the signs would look the same but this just seemed right. Dogs going mental in the cottage but thankfully there was a fence separating us. I think if I stayed this remote I would have loud dogs too.
Parked up, checked map and yes I think I go up this forest track.
to start my walk up Innerdouny Hill
This is just a long walk up a forest road with either deforested stuff or recently planted stuff around you. There was a full wood in the distance and that was my objective.
Junction
Straightforward until you reach a V junction. There was a post with a yellow direction arrow that indicated to go straight. Didn’t seem right, map out and decided to go right, correct decision.
Then I soon reached a clearing on the right where I could see a fire break. The map confirmed this could be used as a short cut but I was in no hurry so continued with the forest track.
Lovely countryside & Crieff hills behind
A bit of a trudge but looking at Perthshire & Angus the sun was shining, it is beautiful countryside. Sadly I was still in the cold grey stuff, never mind, no problem, enjoy the moment.
At least it changed into some grass which meant less painful walking.
A few people clearly walked this route 
This track climbed gradually until I exited the trees and after the clearing an obvious path went right alongside the trees. A pair of Jays flew over my head into the trees calling loud and angry as always.
Gap in wall on track
A slight uphill walk until a broken stone dyke is reached. The only boggy section. Looking at the map the firebreak would have brought you to this point, time saving 15-20 minutes I guess but very rough underfoot.
Almost there
Suddenly the summit is reached with trig point I spotted earlier from Lendrick Hill. I think the views were better from Lendrick even though this is the highest Sub2k in the Ochil Hills.
Looking at Lendrick Hill
I could have used the firebreak but being on my own with a couple of walking days ahead I did not want a sprained ankle or worse.
Just as well I didn’t detour as a bird appeared on top of a pine calling away. Binos out and you know what another Crossbill. Haven’t seen one for yonks and two in a day on different hills. Clearly the hills are only a few miles apart so likely a breeding colony around here.
Sun shining over Perthshire & Angus
On the descent I spotted movement above the deforested area, a Kestrel, another first for the year, magic.
So two good unplanned walks until last night. An enjoyable day.
When checking my lists I noted that there are only three hills beginning with an ‘I’ in the categorized lists. The only one I have left is the easy one, The In Pin, might be a while before I get around to that one, need to learn to abseil first!!


Wildlife: Crossbill; Kestrel; Jay (pair); Carrion Crow (pair); Chaffinch; Greenfinch; Blue Tit
Time: 2.23
Ascent: 775ft 
Distance: 7.51m 

No comments:

Post a Comment