Thursday 28 May 2020

A Kilwinning ramble via Eglinton Park

When I read about the award winning war memorial at Kilwinning I was surprised to find that there was another memorial in the grounds of Kilwinning Abbey so my long trek for this week was decided. Another 4-5 hours with a rucksack on, albeit a light one, good practice for the forthcoming hills.
Impressive ruins
My starting point was the ruined Abbey, circa 1100, which is in a similar state to a lot of the folk hanging around its pedestrianised main street. A new bit of trivia for me, I did not realise that there was a St Winning whom the town was named after.
I wandered the grounds and found no sign of the war memorial but there were some impressive old ruins and gravestones. Time to Google and got up a picture of it, lined it up with the background and walked around again. I was standing beside before I realised it. Sadly for the original war memorial it is in a poor state and needs refurbished. I wonder why two memorials, maybe a local political dust up, whatever it needs help.
Glasgow 32 miles not today
I wandered down the cycle path, I like the creative signs that have been put up around here.

As I headed homewards I had no fixed route in mind so seeing a sign I decided to do a circuit of Eglinton Park. We used to come here regularly as a family to walk and cycle but I realised it must be at least 5 years since I have been here.
War Memorial seat
The sun was out, top layer off and followed one of the grass tracks and found another war memorial, albeit just a bench around this tree but a nice surprise.
The park was exceptionally quiet for such a nice day.
Green veined white
The loch area used to be a popular fishing spot but no room to cast unless spinning, nobody fishing today as not allowed. But glad I did go down as spotted movement and snapped my 1st Red Admiral of the year for my Butterflies blog record. Also plenty of green veined and orange tips still flying.
Meadow
Nothing much has changed in the park. I had a pleasant spring country park walk enjoying the wide open spaces and the excellent views over North Ayrshire. 
No movement in the burn
Birds constantly singing and a Fly Catcher came out of some trees and disappeared back in before camera could snap. I waited in vain but no further sighting.
White Tournament Bridge
The iron Tournament bridge looks as if it has had a new coat of paint since my last visit. The cost of having a tournament was the downfall for the finances of the owners. Of course, being Scotland, the heavens opened on the day.
The local coos had calved, the mothers giving me the evil eye daring me to cross their field, nope not today. 
Eglinton Tower
This solitary Castle tower is the only substantial piece of the existing castle still standing, now only for the wild birds that want to frequent it. Old rumours were that a secret escape tunnel ran between Kilwinning Abbey and the castle though this has never been confirmed.

At the cafe this was not the only thing disappointed that the facilities were fully closed for Covid. Saw a few grey squirrels, rare to walk here and not see one.

Things were getting raucous above me and when I looked up the buzzard was being mobbed by a pair of crows, possibly a youngster nearby. 
Headed back via the beach and Western Gailes where I got another addition for my blog, a new moth to me.
A good walk and one I will repeat but hopefully just as a winter wander, bigger things to walk up coming my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment