Friday 5 June 2020

It's great to be back a ramble up Hods Hill

Hill: Hods Hill
Category: Sub2k
Height: 485m

It’s been just a few but long months off the hills during lockdown and it sure is great to be back. The hills are once again alive to the sound of Des huffing, puffing and snorting his way up the slopes. Still it was worth it.
Even with the restrictions being eased I was going to walk solo and did some research to really focus in on this one.
  1. It had to be a new hill so go for a sub2k.
  2. It had to be remote so I could avoid people.
  3. It had to be relatively straight forward to avoid any accidents.
Daer Reservoir supplies water to central Scotland
Thus on a beautiful morning I drove down to Daer reservoir and enjoyed the journey via Wanlockhead where the hills were spectacular, what a sight. Also for this early time quite a few people parked up beside the burn, picnic tables and chairs out, maybe they were all looking for gold.
Nice open area to start the walk
I parked on a grassy verge at a crossroads also for the Southern Upland Way. Was wondering if any locals would say anything but as I got changed two farmers came past on quad bikes both waving and smiling a good start.
The grassy trail looks more obvious looking back
I had copied a GPS route but god knows where they thought they were going as I went over a new footpath under construction, a deforested area (so much for avoiding accidents). Round a tree line, over fences before reaching a grassy route, all this in the first ten minutes.
From here cannot go wrong just wander up the grassy slopes, small hard tussocks which rolled the ankles to reach a fence line. At a stone dyke junction with the fence it meets the SUW path, guess which way I will be descending.
Cotton grass meadows the top is near the treeline top right
The cotton grass meadows and slopes were full of meadow pipits and skylarks with the odd curlew and lapwing also nesting. At one point a pair of skylarks hopped the fence calling and I suspected a youngster about. As I neared some reeds it rushed out from them across my path straight into the reeds on the other side, at some pace I might add.
If you are on the right side of the fence helpful styles
Now just follow the fence line and the SUW markers, a few false summits before the top of Hods Hill is reached. Excellent views if you ignore the turbines.
True top over fence about 100m
I had read that the actual summit was a diversion of about 100 metres further back to an unnamed top, it did not look it but according to my GPS it was 8 metres higher so glad I went over to it.
Hods Hill from the true top
When I was on that top a hill runner went by on the original track, the only other person on the hill today.
Daer reservoir and Durisdeer hills behind
As I descended the views over the reservoir were spectacular, the blue water a real stand out. The Durisdeer hills are behind and interesting to be seen from this angle. 
Lowther Hills
Also the Lowther range were just beautiful. I suspect Cairnsmore of Carsphairn was the big lump over to my left but far away. Small heath butterflies everywhere.
Wheatear more concerned with the raven above than me, there was a nest nearby.
Nearly back at the car when I spotted a familiar shape on a wire, was that a cuckoo? But even from this distance I could see it had food in its mouth, they don't feed young? However I have seen cuckoos trying to attract a mate with food and as it flew into the trees another bird appeared which it tried to give food to before they both disappeared under cover. Not 100% sure if it was a cuckoo and delighted if it was as I did not think I would see one this year. I will keep looking for a clearer sighting.
Overall I fully enjoyed this short walk and time to start building it up for the bigger ones.

Wildlife: Meadow Pipit; Skylark; Curlew; Raven; Peewit; Small Heath; Small White; Wheatear; Cuckoo?

Time: 2.21
Ascent: 326m
Distance: 8.1km

No comments:

Post a Comment