Wednesday 24 June 2020

Two Border Donalds and a lot of Turbines.....Hudderstone & Hillshaw Head

Wallk: Hudderstone & Hillshaw Head
Category: Donald(s)
Height: n/a.

I wanted to get Hudderstone off my to-do list and the weather looked favourable. Because of it’s location it is normally completed as a one off or part of a big Culter Fell circuit. However, I also had Hillshaw Head to cover and again it would be awkward having to tick that as a solo hill.
Looking at the map the walking between Hudderstone and Hillshaw was about an hour but more importantly it remained at a high level. Next step was Google maps which initially threw me a curved ball, it looked like the huge Clydesdale wind turbine scheme had encroached up to this level. Turn the negative into a positive, there would at least be hard packed road rather than moor to speed up progress.
Turn left at bridge to start, descent track on hill in middle
Decision made to do Hudderstone and decide after that.
Arrived at the farm to find they had closed the gates to traffic going up to where I was going to start. They weren’t stopping walkers so parked up here and it just added a couple of miles to the overall trip.
I noticed 4 cars at the other side of the V junction some sort of meet up?
I headed through the farm with a ‘beware of the dogs sign, but thankfully no noise as sheepdogs can be vicious beasts.
Plenty of sheep and young lambs in the fields, rural farmland scene.
I found my crossing and headed up grassy slopes heading to Ward Law. Wow, after my big hill a couple of days ago the calve burn was intense until I got to the top.
From Ward Law view to Hillshaw turbines in the distance
Thankfully it eased off as I followed an ATV track just below ward Law and over to Woodycleugh Dod, I love these names.
Good views from up here on my left was Culter Fell. Looking right Tinto. Behind the Pentlands as well as many beautiful rolling green hills, delightful walking.
Woodycleugh ahead, Hudderstone behind it
Down and then up and over some humps Hudderstone is now in view. A decent 100m descent and reascent of 150m but on good ground. At a junction just follow the fence upwards and turn right with it. Hudderstone doers not even have a couple of stones to mark its summit but the highest point is obvious.
Hudderstone summit
I had made good time so Hillshaw was on, Turbine city ahead. I crossed the moss soaked moor for a bit before joining the turbine road, descending about 100m. This road helped me make good time but it was sore underfoot and I was glad when I re-joined the fence to clamber up over the moor to Hillshaw Head summit, which is marked by some old fence poles, the highest point today at 652m. 
Mountain hare trying to hide at the fence
A couple of mountain hares so not just sheep around. Not even any turbine maintenance crew around very surprising.
Hillshaw top, Culter Fell on left and Gathersnow on right
It was now very windy and some of the clouds were rain threatening so no hanging about. I spotted a couple coming off Gathersnow but quite far away.
Upper Cowgill reservoir
Looking down to the Upper Cowgill reservoir the lack of water is evidence of the dry spell we have had since Covid began. 
The only other human contact was another couple coming from Hudderstone but they were off on the moor, waves of recognition was as close as it got.
Return route to Hudderstone
Back the same way to Hudderstone where from the top I noticed an ATV track going clockwise to some trees over the ridge of Cowgill Rig so took the chance and went with it to make it more of a circular route.
Descent over Cowgill Rig
As I descended and looked across, doubts set in, I was going further and further away from my out route but checked the map and yes it did turn.
Good views of Tinto on the descent
This now became an estate track which led me back down to the start of the hill ascent then back through the silent farm to the car, still no dogs, or people, all very quiet for a working farm.
Picturesque finish
So much for a quite walking place. Through the trees I could see car after car parked up and I counted 33 of them. Most of the occupants must have headed up Culter Fell. For outdoor people these lockdown restrictions appear well and truly over.
Another good leg and lung stretcher, a high level walk in glorious scenery, turbines excepted. Lots of up and downs to keep me interested. Will be returning soon as still got Chapelgill to complete this set.

Wildlife: Grey Wagtail (1st this year I think); Pied Wagtail; House Martin; Buzzard; Raven; Curlew; Skylark; Pheasant; Meadow Pipit; Oystercatcher; Mountain Hare; Stonechat; Small Heath.

Time: 4.29
Ascent: 801m
Distance: 19.8k

No comments:

Post a Comment