Sunday 7 June 2020

A Galloway masochists idea of heaven. Fell of Fleet


Hill: Fell of Fleet
Category: Sub2k
Height: 470m

This was to be my 113th sub2k so as anyone knows, anything with the number 13 needs to be carefully thought about, not that I am superstitious.
Still in easing Covid restrictions so once again I picked a hill that I was unlikely to see anyone on, this was a no brainier as if you had any brain you would not be going near this one. Still apart from being stupid my excuse was picking a hill I had not climbed before within reasonable travelling.
Fell of Fleet fitted the bill but I knew from the very few route reports this was to be a challenging short day out.
Clatteringshaws Dam at the start
So, for anybody reading this and considering it don’t unless you want to tick a box. If still determined/stupid take the shorter route up and come back down the same way. If still daft enough to make a circular route I will provide a few tips later.
That's it ahead looks a fair way away
There are ongoing forestry operations so there is a hard packed track from the start near the dam. You could drive a lot further but If the gate was closed on your return?
Roughly 30 mins walk brings you to a junction where you continue straight on for another half an hour. 
Do not stand on the logs, Loch Grannoch behind
My circular descent brought me back to here. At least the views have opened up with Loch Grannoch looking good for fishing but I doubt it gets fished much at all.
I had a route prepared but this went to pot as soon as I left this road. I expected to find a track but it was deforested and immediately became a case of small steps, trying hard to avoid the many pitfalls. Not a day to call the rescue people, even worse on the descent.
Ascent route
Painfully slow going, not physically tiring just full on concentration for about 40 minutes until I reached a plateau. Cut down tree debris, big hidden holes, rotting timber, sphagnum moss deep and soft, you get the picture not easy walking. 
Plateau
Thought the top would be easier, it was marginally, but this was good old Galloway tussock terrain. Still high potential for a twisted ankle or worse.
I had short cut my planned route and headed directly to the cairn. My one good decision of the day about 2 hours to the top.
Summit to right of trees
A red grouse burst out of the undergrowth playing injured so I knew what was coming. About 6 fledglings left the cover one after the other half flying/walking after their mother. I quickly left them in peace but a magical moment.
In fairness the views were good in all directions the sun glinting off the water of the Solway Firth.
Cairn with Cairnsmore of Fleet behind
My first ADRC walk was Cairnsmore of Fleet, which I was looking at as I ate lunch. At the time I thought it was a challenging terrain walk but compared to this one it’s terrain was a bowling green.
Well that uphill was breeze compared to the descent.
I decide to do a circular route heading roughly over towards Shaw Hill a big mistake. The descent was skirting the tree line but the hidden holes were deeper and more frequent really hard walking.
Descent I have to get to the loch
I reached the steep section and could see that I had no option other than to head for newly planted trees and go through them. I could also see a short firebreak after about a third so aimed that direction.
Wow, when I hit the trees they were so closely planted I was forced to barge through them. Additionally they were planted on a deforested section so it was a walking nightmare. Fully enclosed I pushed, fell, cursed, sweated until I reached the opening. So much for a hazard free outing.
I followed the break which was still tough walking and to really hit you in the gut the trees closed in again forcing one last fight to get to the trail. I don’t think I have had a worse descent in my life.
Looking back from the track
Looking back at the hill if I had kept going for about 200 metres there was a deforested area which would have been easier, hindsight!
The walk back along the hard trail was much longer than I expected about 90 minutes but significant as morale was low.
Possible Sandy carpet moth
My attention was caught by a large rising bird followed by a second. Circling rising higher into the sky. Large feathered upright wings obvious, could they be part of the South of Scotland eagle release scheme? Never mind what a sight.
The binoculars to my eyes then off to my right a sound I thought I would not hear this year. A cuckoo began calling, was I hallucinating, no off it went again, this finish was the highlight of my day.
As I neared the car I felt a pain on my left leg and looking down two huge lacerations weeping blood, damage from fighting my way through that enclosed tree plantation, the Adrenalin must have kept me from feeling it earlier.
Common Heath moth
So if you have to go, when descending stick to the treeline there is a firebreak seen from below. Or keep walking east as described above.
Or from the top head over Gormal Hill to a big cairn/trig. from there a short descent over deforested ground would save at least 30 minutes.
if you don’t want to tick this box there are plenty of good views elsewhere.
I ticked the box but won’t be doing it again lol.

Wildlife: Chaffinch; Meadow Pipit; Red Kite; Robin; Wren; Red Grouse + chicks; Cuckoo.
Time: 3.53
Ascent: 473m
Distance: 15.9k

No comments:

Post a Comment