Sunday 6 September 2020

Very wet and very windy.....Fiarach

Hill: Fiarach (Slanting Hill)
Type: Graham
Height: 652m
For my weekend warm up hill I opted for the only Graham that begins with an 'F', not that it means anything but got me wondering if F was not a popular letter in Gaelic, no replies required.
The weather forecast was for winds and showers but on the drive it was dry with patches of blue sky. At least it waited until I had changed and was donning the rucksack when the heavens opened.
This was a real heavy Scottish downpour no shower here.
Wandered to the gate where there was a warning regarding livestock grazing, take care. Great, with the hood pulled tight I was constantly glancing around wondering what beastie I might bump into. When I did it thankfully it was just sheep.
Which way to go?
There is a good track which splits in various directions heading to Oss, Lui etc but even with the rain hosing down I did take the correct track heading into the beautiful old Caledonian forest. Here the bracken is already changing into Autumn colours, lovely but I am not ready for this yet, we haven't had a proper summer.
The track twists and turns with a burn running high and loud. Peering through the rain I am trying to spot the fence I want to follow up the hill.
After 3km I arrive at a big locked gate and the rain goes off. I also see a track going into the growth obviously other people have walked this hill. But the track soon becomes a false positive and disappears. The height of the bracken and long grass means from this angle no track to be seen, if it exists. At least the fence is there to use as a guide.
The terrain is absolutely sodden, I have not walked in such wet underfoot conditions for yonks.
Huffing and buffing I get to the tree line. I find the odd track here and there but much more likely to be sheep/deer than people, still don't be fussy, use them.
When I break the treeline I am almost sent rolling back down the hill by the wind, wow this could be fun.
The fence takes a right angle and I go with it and soon reach the Lochan Fiarach.
It is now true upper moor bog land with plenty of marsh conditions and peat hags. It does not help that the fence is collapsing in places but worse the amount of hidden wire from the original build that trips you up is shocking. These guys don't bother about leaving nothing but your footprint.
The top is in sight but this is a struggle. No idea what force this wind is but it is trying hard to blow me over, glad I am not on top of the cloud hidden Munros that surround me.
A very small cairn at the summit.
I had intended to walk over the moor to the staircase natural structure at Creagan Soillier but not in this wind and although I was dry plenty of heavy rain was being deposited all around me.
Tyndrum far below.
Too busy trying to stand I followed a track for a bit before realising this was not the way home. What a numpty, a short backtrack and headed back the same way.
Of course once I got to the treeline, with the advantage of height, I found a good track all the way down. It did lose itself in the undergrowth but it could be spotted further on so no problem.
Meall Odhar on the right just below the clouds
Out of the wind and it was time to enjoy my flask of soup. Good views but the low cloud took away the spectacle of the Munro tops.
When I arrived at the big gate the rain came back on again but light this time.
Stood at the river for a few minutes hoping to spot a salmon leaping the falls, perfect conditions but no luck.
Annoyingly my tendon had flared up again so it was an uncomfortable hobble back to the car. It has improved recently but this felt like back to square one.
At the woods loud agitated calling as a Jay flew fast and winding through the trees closely followed by a Sparrowhawk. Brief but lively, I wonder who was the victor in the life or death tussle?
Time to get some strapping on and find some anti inflammatory pills. Wild conditions today but I enjoyed it.

Wildlife: Buzzard; Jay; Sparrowhawk; Chaffinch 20+; Goldfinch; Raven; Meadow Pipit; Hooded Crow; Wheatear.
Ascent: 574m
Distance: 11.1km 
Time: 3.20

No comments:

Post a Comment