Monday 21 September 2020

Hopefully not in vain on Benvane

Hill: Benvane (White Hill)

Type: Corbett

Height: 821m

I had a choice of two Corbetts from the same start point but on arrival one route had a lot of cows well spread over my walking territory so no choice after all. Benvane has been on my to-do list for too long so it was time to visit and up my Corbett number. It is a good looking hill from the farm side a high point on the ridge from Ben Ledi to Glen Buckie.

The view of Benvane ridge from drive to the start
There are quite a few route options for Benvane but it will be no surprise that I opted for the straight forward ascent from Ballimore farm. Actually both hills had could start from here. I had delayed my start as the poor weather was forecast to improve by lunchtime. As I got prepared the rain came on so did the waterproofs. Low lying cloud made for an atmospheric start but hopefully that will disappear.

Not the best start but at least the cloud hides the gradient
I had not overly prepped the route beforehand so got a shock at how steep the initial stages were, huffing and puffing never a good way to start a walk, body too hot. 350m of sharp steep ascent, welcome to an easy Corbett!

After the recent horrible weather I expected this grassy route to be a very wet bog fest and I was not disappointed, very wet from start to finish.

There is not a lot too say about the initial stages other than it was a plod up steep grassy slopes mainly following a clear track which sometimes became an ATV track. At times it was lost but soon found again. The few times I looked up the cloud was still there.

After the initial steep section it became a rugged moorland walk which certainly could be very challenging in poor visibility. 

Looking to the Munros of Ben Vorlich, Chroin & the Corbett Each
There were good views on my left of Vorlich, Chroin and Each. At least the cloud is slowly lifting.

There are a some large peat hags which the WH description says can be easily avoided. Really, not in these conditions. Ankle deep sphagnum bog water patches at least cleaned the black peat mud from the boots.

Benvane my 1st view
After just under an hour finally there are views of the main hill. It looks further away and more daunting than it really was. 

Route to the summit now clear
A fence is met where I note there is a faint grassy track coming up, presumably from Glen Finglas. My track stays fairly close to the fence only moving away to avoid the hags.

I was glad to reach the summit where you are greeted by a smaller than expected cairn. 

Ben Ledi
Ben Ledi can be added to this walk, if transport has been sorted, and from here it looks to be much larger than the 50m actual height difference. Superb views down to Loch Lubnaig and the village of Strathyre. 

Looking north Lawers hills can just be seen through the haze
The spectacular views are enhanced by the low clouds still clinging to the lower layers of the lochs and glens.

Rugged terrain but the track is clear from here.
The descent lays out the rugged moorland terrain. Even in winter no big drop offs to worry about but potentially easy to get lost in low cloud.

Sheep enjoying the views
At this time of year the light quality is normally excellent so as I descended there were more excellent long distance views to take in including Ben Lomond; Arrochar Alps; Crianlarich Munros and the Lawers range, just super.

Heat brings up the clouds will I get lost?
About half way down the temperature rose sharply which brought the clouds rising from the floor level, more atmosphere and even though I was on the descent the humidity meant a lot more sweat.

Overall a good walk, it was an expected wet walk but the views were unexpectedly better. The timing was good, probably too fast at the start but that's a lesson I don't seem to learn.

Despite the midgies attacking me, changing was a long cleansing and drying affair, it was humid but the clouds were already reclaiming the hill tops. Looking at the forecast this day might be as good as it gets for a few days! Maybe no more walks for a while within my opportunities, sad.

Wildlife: Raven; Buzzard; Meadow Pipit; 

Ascent: 693m 

Distance: 9.3k 

Time: 3.12







No comments:

Post a Comment