Sunday 29 November 2020

A short grassy mound.....Dungavel Hill

Hill: Dungavel Hill

Type: Sub2k

Height: 510m

Thirty minutes after leaving Goseland I was at the starting point for the short ascent of Dungavel Hill. Another lovely drive through the Clyde valley. The wind was much stronger and colder here so extra layering donned, must be getting soft.

Dungavel Hill from the start
Looking at the hill this was a much easier gradient, a rounded grassy hill. It does not look very exciting from this side but I got a look at its better profile as I drove to it. The better looking side is the Tinto route. Up here it is open moorland.

I had avoided this simple hill for some time as it was reputed to have a bull with his herd roaming free with a sign warning walkers at the start. A minute or two scanning the hill but no bovines could be seen and as I walked through the gate into the field the warning sign that I had seen in snaps was not there, good news or an ambush ahead.

As you can see tussock after tussock
Into the field and there was a boggy path of sorts through the long grass to the base of the hill. No snaps taken going up as all you see in front of you is tussocky grass and then more tussocky grass etc. There were plenty of wee holes where voles/mice were running through so surprised to only spot one.

Tinto across the valley
Finally I reached a plateau of sorts and met the fence that leads to the trig. Tinto was also in view a huge visual relief from just grass.  

Goseland in line with broken trig
A short walk via a quad bike track and I reached the trig, well what was left of it, not me I didn't do it!! Maintenance required please.

It was blowing a hoolie and looking very grey coming from the west. But the views down the upper Clyde valley were special. Across the way the popular Tinto looked so close, a better hill from this side without the heavily foot trodden scarred landscape on its other flank.

Clyde valley and Goseland
Looking back Goseland hill was not obvious but it was in the snap.

After taking in the views it was simply a case of descending back to the car where just as I reached the fence I spooked 3 roe deer. Two gracefully leapt the fence and ran onto the moor opposite. The third was obviously as fit as me and went through the wire rather than over it, not very elegant. No damage done and after a run over the moor all three regrouped, stopped and gave me the death stare.

Bleak moor the deer are there somewhere
So overall objectives achieved. I am feeling tired and achy but re-energised. Two new hills on the trip and not another person in sight never mind close to give or catch the virus. 

RIP

Back at the car I had not noticed at the start this little poppy attached to the fence along with 3 small wooden crosses, no idea why it is there but RIP.

Sorry wee Nic but for my sanity life must go on and the hills are a major part of that. Thanks Wyatt.

Ascent: 190m

Distance: 2.21km

Time: 1.05

Wildlife: Roe Deer; Raven; Field mouse/vole; 

No comments:

Post a Comment