Wednesday 2 December 2020

Must be in the top 10 list of the wettest Corbetts.....Shalloch on Minnoch

Hill: Shalloch on Minnoch (Middle Heel)

Type: Corbett

Height: 775m

This was meant to be the best hillwalking day of the week, clear blue skies and the crispness of an early winters day. It certainly was cold during the night and the car needed defrosting time.  Soon after leaving the house I could see I could see the ridge in the distance and the summits were cloud free, yipee.

For once a short drive but even in that time the clouds had descended so what would I get at the top?

According to the SMC book, Shalloch is 'middle heel'. Not sure what this refers to, I get the heel bit as it is at the end of the ridge but middle? However this is a great but gentle hill set in the barren landscape that you either love or hate, the former for me. It would be a short walk so I extended it by parking at the Stinchar are, no other cars! The downside is that the extra walk is on tarmac to get to the normal starting place but no hardship.

The falls are a favourite spot to start a walk
Once off the tarmac I entered a wet, wet world. The weather has been extremely damp to put it mildly. Even so the normally damp and boggy sections had transformed itself into one deep footstep into mud, bog and the deep water holding sphagnum bog patches. Wow what a start and whats the chances of dry feet today.

Shalloch is a teasing hill. You cannot see the summit top from the start but the hill is a series of gentle ascents, each one kidding you on that you are are near the top. Well today you could not see any top in the clouds so no teasing just a gentle walk. Well not so gentle. Not hard on the feet but sinking in every step was good training for the soon to be snow walking, not so heavy breathing time pleased with that.

Off the tarmac and the boggy walk into the clouds
I was reflecting previous visits and particularly the last time I was here which was probably just before wee nippy locked us up for the first time. There has always been a path of sorts but it was now a wide 4 or five abreast. Clearly a lot of folk have been up here this year.

Cloudy ahead but excellent view looking east
The wet section lasts for almost half the ascent before with relief more normal walking terrain. I wish i could say the same for the weather but although not a pea souper the clouds were hanging about so forward distance was minimal. However looking left there was the odd glimpse of the world I wanted to see.

Something suddenly appeared sparkling in the distance, it was a brief glimpse of the sun breaking through the clouds and shining down on the wee lochan. Not far to go now but I could still only see about half way up the final ascent.

Knockdolian peaking up
This is normally straight up through the stones but they were very slippery so I followed the grassy flanks SW to creep round to the hill. Wow, finally the cloud lifted and I got atmospheric views over to Knockdolian and its twin volcanic plug of Ailsa Craig.

As I summit clouds still holding along 'the hand'.
Final section and the clouds are still hanging about the tops to the south. Finally I stumble across the trig. Looking north and west the views are great including Ailsa.

Trig with marker cairn in the distance
To the south I could see across the flat walk to where the crags are, this was to be my lunch spot so over I went. Glad I did as the views were excellent. 

By the time I got there cloud almost gone the Awful hand shows itself

The ridge was still holding fragments of cloud. You can opt for a long but good ridge walk over Tarfessock, Kirrereoch and even the Merrick but certainly not for me today. Brilliantly named as the Range of the Awful Hand.

Lochs Riecawr & Macaterick. Bothy (white) just at edge of trees on the right 
I was more than content stuffing my face and looking down over the rugged terrain including Loch Macaterick and another winter target Mulwharcher. 

Hoodens Hill and Mulwharchar
The white painted Tunskeen bothy stands out isolated in this shades of brown landscape. Sad but true story. Last year walkers were refused entry to the bothy by a group of 'revellars'. They were forced to continue their journey but the weather conditions were so bad they ended up having to be rescued by the emergency services. The scum inside the bothy were sadly never charged.  

Re the scenery as said earlier, your choice, but it is rugged beauty and a fantastic landscape and what a spot for lunch.

On descent clouds coming and going
Time to head back and as I left the top the clouds were moving in from the west once more. Both plugs had disappeared already. I had a possible option in my mind to descend via Cornish Hill but from previous experience I know it can be brutal terrain so left for another day.

When I reached the wet underfoot (halfway down) a drizzle came on, nothing heavy but just to let me know the weather does its own thing around here not the weather forecasts computer modelling.

Still back at the car I was in good spirits. Damp in one foot and damp in outer clothing but far better than a day spent indoors and a day closer to ending this Covid madness. A good walk not spoilt.

Wildlife: Buzzard; Curlew 12+; Red Grouse

Ascent: 555m

Distance: 12.5km

Time: 3.37

No comments:

Post a Comment