Saturday 12 December 2020

A walk in the clouds.....Haggis Hill circuit

Hill: Haggis Hill (510m) circuit including Craigenreoch (565m)

Type: Haggis Hill Dodd & Craigenreoch Sub2k

Where to go my weekly walk? Dick had recently mentioned the Haggis Hill round and that seemed a good place to relive some memories. I had only completed the round once before and that was a grim day with poor visibility. I was told then that the views are good so decision made. Looking at the weather forecast the brightest was Wednesday morning becoming cloudy later.

Unfortunately my trusty Harvey's map of the Galloway Forest did not include these hills. So, once again, I put together a straight line between hills rough route on OS maps. The only issue was I could not remember exactly where I started the last time. I remember a small parking area going up the hill road to Barr, named the Nick of the Balloch, time will tell.

A grey start to the walk
An early start and a bright red sky as I set off. By the time I approached Stincher the clouds were already down. I found what I thought was the parking spot in the gloom along with now a drizzle. Out of the car and I had to motivate myself as I could not really be bothered, going home and back to bed seemed a better option.

Always the fool, gear on and where to start going up this hill? I had thought there might be an obvious footpath through the wet grass from previous walkers but nope maybe this was the wrong starting place. Just head up desmondo.

Clouds lifting or falling?
My memory did recall a steep start but this seemed more brutal. There is no doubt that recently without much high walking, little cycling or gym my fitness has taken a decline. As I huffed and puffed with regular stops this slope confirmed that. 

For a brief moment a moorland view
I reached the top at Brandy Well after 170m of direct ascent where I had a view of the barren countryside ahead, relieved. That lasted about 5 minutes before the clouds descended not to lift again during the high level walk.

The ground was soaking wet and my right boot clearly has a leak somewhere as the front of my foot was already squelching, the joys.

At least a track to follow
Initially I was plodding across the heather until I found an ATV track just before Rowantree Hill. 

Craigenreoch the highest point
Ultimately I then just followed this in a clockwise direction over the named hills of Craigenreoch (the highest point); Polmaddie; Pinbreck and Changue hills. 

Gloom
The visibility remained at about 50 - 80 metres throughout so all I was looking at was the track, some fencing and the odd tree. Apart from a lone curlew  the only sounds were me splashing through the sodden terrain and my chuntering to myself, nobody to offend.

Haggis Hill
I had forgotten about the steep descent from Changue until out of the mist loomed the genuine haggis shaped mass of Haggis Hill. The cloud thinned enough to torture me with a view of the climb ahead before closing down again. I know it is not much of a climb but with my mindset today it felt much higher.

Marker stone on Haggis Hill
Not too breathless I reached the small standing stone at Haggis Hill and knew the worst walking was now ahead and I had two burns to cross!

Time to head down
I am not sure if I descended from a different spot than the previous round but this was in the very steep category and I don't quite remember it as bad as that. At least I was out of the cloud so had a good view way down. Care taken as any tumble could be a long roll down. Down below me was a large stone sheep pen, I don't remember that. Slowly I edged my way baby steps down to the burn. As I descended I did think that I get myself in some pickles when on my own.

Thankfully the burn wasn't running too fast but it was wide and on my side previous heavy flows had severely eroded the bank so no step downs. After a wander I found a tussock in the middle that I could step on and a straightforward leap to the other bank. 

Steep slopes
One thing I did remember was that this last section was the worst of the going, trackless rough ground and another burn to negotiate. Wonder why I remember that?

Decision time the car is beyond the V
After circling the mass of Glengap Hill I reached another sheep pen. Decision time as I could see the burn I had to follow heading up the hillside. Two decisions were the rough/stony terrain and then crossing the burn higher up where it was much steeper and from here I could see a number of waterfalls. Or cross the burn here and head up to the road.

I was not in the mood for the gamble so forded the burn and headed up to the road close to the Witches bridge. Relief at walking on the road, don't say that too often. As I walked I could see below that there was an old ATV track that could have been followed so maybe for the next time.

The cloud was back down it was cold, windy and damp so I was well pleased to reach the car.

Well how to sum up? It was needed exercise so a tick for that. Fair to say not the best walk that I have had. And I do need to come back as I have still not seen those views!

Ascent: 513m

Distance: 10k

Time: 3.08

Wildlife: Curlew; Raven; Red Grouse; Grey Heron; Buzzard: Kestrel


No comments:

Post a Comment