Thursday 31 December 2020

A short ramble in a winter wonderland.....Wee Hill of Craigmulloch

Hill: Wee Hill of Craigmulloch, Loch Doon

Type: Tump:

Height: 427m

My original plan was to visit this hill on my way to Craiglee but more of that later. 

An interesting and careful drive alongside icy Loch Doon brought me to the ruins of the castle carpark. One other car already there, a person could be seen exploring the ruins so not a walker. Surprised at how many campervans were parked up along the road, some with tents. My car showed -4 temperature, rather them than me.

New site of ruined castle it used to be in the loch
It was a stunning blue sky snow covered hills morning.

However, as I was getting geared up I decided the air temperature was warm enough to get rid of my mid layer before starting. I prefer starting cooler and adding layers if required rather than taking off a damp sweaty layer on the ascent.

Followed the track up the side of the castle. Some icy patches but I was not putting on spikes just yet. A short steep start and I was breathing a bit harder. The plumes of steam coming out of my mouth as though I had a cigar on the go.

Too cold for a seat track just beyond
I crossed a main track to the less obvious minor track on the other side. This took me to some benches and behind them another less obvious route but I knew I was on the correct section albeit the snow does a good job in disguising that a small track was there.

The great thing about snow is the wildlife tracks. On the ascent I never spotted any in the flesh but saw tracks of hare, deer and something small with sharp talons, stoat or weasel?

A fairly straightforward ascent albeit some surprisingly deep pockets of snow going right in to the knee. 

Craiglee ahead and Wee Hill cairn just in view on the mid-right
Got to the lower top and wandered over to the loch side to get some excellent views. 

Back over to the real top and its small cairn, through more deep snow. From here Craiglee looked magnificent. In fact the views all round were particularly pleasing. The snow giving excellent profiles to the hills, everything stood out.

Craiglee looks like a track in the middle but when I got closer it is a burn
From my planning I knew I was ascending the right flank of Craiglee as I stood but my proposed descent route was more central and looked like deep snow fields. I did not really want to come back over Craigmulloch but it remained an option.

I headed down the short descent slopes of Craigmulloch and as expected there were deep pockets of snow but nothing too difficult although plenty of care taken as who knows where the hidden holes/burns were. 

Then everything was taken out of my hands. About a third of the way up Craiglee my wrist watch vibrated, a notification that a text had been received. No phone signal but the text had got through. A family issue that I needed to be involved in asap. 

Retrace my steps back up Wee Hill
I was close to the top but would not have enjoyed the rest of the ascent so now simply a case of following my tracks back up and over Craigmulloch and then back down to the car. 

On descent car down at loch and Mullwharcher range in middle
Although there was a low sun the descent was enjoyable as the views of the high southern Galloway ridges were superb. And I had remembered my sunglasses!! Two pairs came up the hill and stopped for a chat with two locals from Dalmellington who pointed out a few routes to consider for summer walks.

Further west Shalloch on Minnoch
So, not the walk intended but a stunner none the less. What conditions, they were simply beautiful. The forecast looks good for the next few days so I will be back to finish what I started. Either way Craiglee will be the last of this year or the first of 2021.

Back at the car chatted to the park ranger who confirmed the quad bike cops I saw a few weeks ago were the real deal.

Despite all the Covid crap it has still been a good walking year

Ascent: 294m

Distance: 3.9k

Time: 2.05

Wildlife: Wren; Blackbird; Crow




No comments:

Post a Comment