Tuesday 8 December 2020

Wee in stature but Galloway tussocks win out again my legs are gubbed....Craigmasheenie

Hill: Craigmasheenie (539m) via Sheil Hill (508m)

Type: Dodd

I had this pair on my list for this week and coincidently noticed that the OIR were doing them earlier in the week along with Shalloch on Minnoch, a big round.

I could only find minimal route descriptions, not surprised, so it was a case of plotting my own rough route beginning from the Stinchar car park. My only uncertainty was whether to return by the outward journey or head across to Cornish Loch and pick up the circular trail. Final decision would be made after Craigmasheenie.

With the relative lack of walkers there would be no obvious paths but I had expected to pick up more animal paths than I did. The going was typical Galloway tussocks, rough, rough, rough.

Found the track
From the Stinchar parking I headed down the road towards Loch Bradan. Plenty of deforestation so I hoped my initial plotted track still existed. After I crossed the burn there it was, unmarked but still there.

Loch Bradan blue water but snow cloud approaching
I followed it up to what I thought was the high point then simply picked a point and headed into the undergrowth. That was the start of the rough going and it never ended. The climb to Sheil Hill was full of false promise. With the angle of ascent you always just had a short point of focus ahead. There were many descents then re-ascents, not overly long but a bit of a roller-coaster walk. The terrain was already requiring full concentration, plenty of tussocks, plenty of water and plenty of holes to catch you out. It didn't help that the low sun was right in my forward vision and guess what numptie had not brought sunglasses or goggles!

Sheil Hill, the pointed bit
Finally I reached a flattish area and I could see the trig on Sheil Hill. No problem I thought but it seemed to take an age getting to it with detours round pools of water. I found a reasonable track which started to go round the contour of the hill but was descending so more navigation, more ascent and finally I reached the trig. 

View east from trig
Great views looking over Loch Bradan and Craiglea, rust red in the winter sun but snow clouds were belting past as well just my luck to catch one.

Craigmasheenie ahead point on right the highest point wedge gully clear
Craigmasheenie was disappearing in and out of cloud and Shalloch behind never emerged from it. I was in two minds but a look on the map, one and a half squares so just over a mile. However, a mile is a long one in this landscape.

Rough terrain the deer have scarpered
I opted to stay as high as I could as I did not fancy descending all the way down to the marshy moor to climb again. This took me over the Nick of the Strand

As I wandered, every step a challenge, a small herd of red deer hinds ran in front of me. I counted eight but suspected more. It has been a long time since I saw red deer in these hills so glad I went on.

Further along I almost stepped on this frog, was it sunning itself, I don't know but even when I stooped close for a snap it didn't move nor did it budge when I stepped over it.  

I was keeping high to the east but I knew there was a big gulley between Craigmasheennie's two ridges. If I had mapped it right I should not have to descend too far but doubts were creeping in as I ascended the eastern side, the western side the high point, 'trust the map Des'. 

Frozen lochan looking over the crags
When I reached the small lochan I knew I was on track but that final climb to the top of Craigmasheenie was stiffer than expected. Good views from the top which is classed as a Dodd, not a category I am familiar with. Its parent Hill, Shalloch still covered in cloud.

View from top back to frozen lochan and Craiglea
Decision time, I could see Cornish Loch and the map suggested just over a kilometre. I knew the going would be rough but I underestimated just how rough going it would be. It is often said that the hardest bit is the last section and this was right in that category.

Down the gully Cornish loch on left
Initially all was good as I headed down the gulley with occasional deer paths to follow. A red grouse burst out of the heather. Then it all got really tough. Every step was taken at tortoise pace and despite this I was going knee deep and more into hidden holes. Full on concentration over the tussocks and the many hidden water hazards.

I could see the odd walker coming down the Cornish hill path and the closest point was my objective. Then the burn not hidden bringing the snow melt down from Shalloch into Cornish loch! This was too wide to jump and very deep, my pole went full in. Wandered up and down and found two solid tussocks to stand on going about a third of the way across the burn. No other option. I stood balanced one foot on each one, with both poles jammed into the other bank my angle not the cleverest. The opposite bank was steep, just dropped into the water, i had to land on the bank. So it was a huge push and jump and got one knee into a tussock and with the poles heaved myself up. Wow that was close to a proper soaking.

From safety looking back to Craigmasheenie I came right of loch as per snap
Eventually on to the path, it was a short descent but felt a lot longer. Time to have an apple and look at the ground I had just crossed happy in the knowledge I will never be doing it again.

The outflow from Cornish loch running fast
To finish I followed the track back to the parking. Interestingly two police on quad bikes were talking to car owners, wee nippys Covid tier investigators? if you had said a year ago that police were checking on walkers car parks you would have been laughed at, now for real, unbelievable. As I changed at my car one was on the radio saying they were coming back for their lunch break so presumably others in the park as well. Then they shot past. Honest guv I am here legally. in that short time four cars came into the parking, saw the police, 3 point turns and scarpered, outsiders, I did laugh.

A good leg stretcher for sure, my legs and buttocks are feeling it right now, will be stiff tomorrow. Galloway terrain wins again.

Ascent: 571m

Distance: 10.2km

Time: 3.31

Wildlife: Long tailed tit; Blue tit; Coal Tit; Red Grouse; Red Deer; Frog

No comments:

Post a Comment