Friday 3 March 2023

Not as easy as it could have been.....Cacra Hill

 Hill: Cacra Hill

Type: Sub2k

Height: 471m


After deciding against the Wiss today I drove to what I thought was going to be the easiest of my selection of walks. On a normal day it probably would be. I still had Turner Cleugh in my legs and the snow up top was going to be even worse. Just as well I didn't know that before I started.

There are a few route options but I had read about a forestry road for a new plantation that went further up than the OS maps showed so worth a try.

Limited parking at the gate but the snow showed no tracks going up and I doubted anything would arrive in the afternoon.

Follow the deer
The area has been replanted with the trees about a metre high. I laughed as I followed the deer prints occasionally darting off to nibble a tree. It is surrounded by a deer fence but the tracs show they are there inside.

The track winds up about 2/3rds of the height before a memorial is reached, left by the owners happy with their work/profits.

The track turns away from Cacra Hill but an ATV track could just be seen. I followed it and then the fun began. Everything looked quite straightforward until soon after joining the track kept plunging deep into snow holes which continued the whole way up.

Summit is high point middle of snap

Closer now top just ahead but this stuff is deep
I reached a ridge which the map showed was fairly flat to the summit. I was tempted to leave it for another day but I had come this far and I could see top. But if anything the snow had drifted even deeper up here. This was now a test of mind over matter. This is a piddling wee hill but it was taking it out of me. On I went to another high point with no marker, again spot confirmed by GPS and OS maps. At least the views were good but the winds had picked up and it was near feel like freezing temperatures.

Summit looking back

Steep & deep

Sun setting but getting there
At least heading back to the track I could follow my upward steps so slightly easier walking.

Came across these tracks but not sure what they are, small bird?
The sun was starting to set and it was pretty cold now. Glad to have bagged a couple of hills today. My legs were burning at times but a good day out. Time for shower, beer, food in whatever order.

Ascent: 265m

Distance: 4.7km

Time: 1.41

Wildlife: Raven; Red Grouse

No comments:

Post a Comment