Friday 3 March 2023

A glorious winters day at Wanlockhead.....Comb Head/Cold Moss via Lowther Hill

 Hill: Comb Head/Cold Moss

Type: New Donald

Height: 622m

Another cracking winters day to take advantage of before next weeks predicted mayhem. Last minute decision so decided that Wanlockhead was worth a visit, been a long time.

When I looked at my list of missing New Donalds/Tops there was this hill called Comb Head which I had never even heard of. As it turned out it is linked to Lowther Hill which I had been up a few times but not to my knowledge crossing over the other side to Comb Head. Traditionally it would have been up the ridge to Green Lowther.

A beautiful crisp morning with more blue sky than cloud. Wanlockhead village was as dead as it normally is, who lives here?

The route is straightforward as it follows the Southern Upland Way for the full ramble. The only issue was that I had to trek up to Lowther HillI first. I have to confess that I had forgotten how steep and continuous that slog is. There was even solid patches of snow to negotiate.


I spotted some people ahead and made the mistake of trying to catch them rather than going at my own pace. Catch them I did but when they stopped to chat I could hardly get the words out for sucking in breath. They must have thought what a numpty. Probably right. Still pushing the fitness was my positive.


Reached the big golf ball in the murk but it quickly cleared.

So onto the new section for me, Climbed over a fence to find there was a gate further on.

I could see the objective. Good views but the valley down below was still covered in cloud. The only negative after huffing and puffing my way up Lowther was that I was descending about 120m. Of course it was going to be climbed later.


The SUW does not get much usage here but although on the slightly boggy side the track was faint but clear. There were a few deep last minute spotted holes at the side of the track, could be interesting with a full coating of snow.


Now back up the way with a low sun keeping my head down, There are plenty of marker poles but in this sun very difficult to spot. Still plodding along I reached the first top but beware this is Cold Moss not Comb Head which is further along with a short drop and reascent. It is an interesting optical illusion as both of these tops look higher than the other from each top but Comb Head is the top with nothing to mark it when I arrived. Good views over to Durisdeer hills, wind turbines in other directions.

A cold wind had risen so backtracked just as a female Hen Harrier glided low over the heather. I used to see these regularly at Wanlockhead but it has been a few years since so happy with that. A Red Grouse broke cover but the raptor did not follow it.

Huffed and puffed my way back up to Lowther and had my food stop in the SUW bothy/shelter nearby. Welcome relief from the biting wind.


Back the same way looking at the village and surrounding hills. Cloud was building but no issues. As I entered the village a lone dog was barking. No people. Not even another dog to egg on the other one.

Cafe closed for the season so no warm drink. Overall a satisfying short winter walk.

Ascent: 656m

Distance: 11.1km

Time: 3.15

Wildlife: Raven; Hen Harrier; Red Grouse

No comments:

Post a Comment