Sunday 23 April 2023

Wee hill with big views.....Meall Chomraidh

Hill: Meall Chomraidh

Type: Sub2k

Height: 466m



I had meant to do this short ramble the last time I was in the area but things got in the way. So another opportunity. The good lady was going to stick to walking the good track further up into Glen Chomraidh whilst I took the short diversion to bag another Sub2k.

1st view from the track with the crags this side
Not surprising there are only a couple of reports for the hill. I knew that if I continued up the glen there is a shorter but steeper option but looking at the map I fancied cutting off at the track junction and going up the easier inclined route from the east. It is one thing looking at the map and another thing what the ground conditions actually looked like? Although only a small hill it has steep and serious crags if bad weather was around.

The start of the herd, shaky hands lol
A quiet scenic drive to the end of Loch Rannoch where we parked at Bridge of Gaur. A well constructed track, probably for woodland purposes, saw us heading up the glen towards a substantial herd of cattle on the horizon. A bunch of Highlanders spread about. They gave us a good looking over but no bother.

As I got sight of the hill I decided to stick with my eastern ascent. At least the good lady had a good view of where my route was.

I firstly headed for a stone surrounded by iron railings which turned out to be a family burial memorial. Carved into the stone it said that the family originally came from Dankeith in Ayrshire, a new place to me.

From the memorial I had spotted a break in the crags which looked straightforward and indeed it was at this time of the year. But since leaving the track I had walked over dead bracken until I reached the crag, later in the year this hill would be covered in bracken and not so easy a walk from this side.

Deer tracks got wider and muddier
Once I turned and headed up the hill it was more a less a straight line on my bearing. I expected no paths but found many deer routes and some of the stretches were more like deer highways. The only issue was that they had churned up the peat big style so it was on and off the muddy sections.

Wouldn't be the same without tussocky terrain
No issues en route, just a series of false tops before it flattened out into a boggy section and then the trig appeared. The usual tussocks but not of Galloway standard.

View towards Rannoch Station and Corrour
Because it is a stand alone hill it has cracking views in all directions. Looking down Loch Rannoch the peak of Schiehallion is prominent.

Rannoch station is clearly seen along with the Corrour mountains. In the distance behind is probably the Creag Meagaidh range but these tops are covered in cloud.

Black mount and Orchy

Glencoe peaks on left

Loch Rannoch and Schiehallion's peak
Looking west the Black Mount and Orchy hills stand out and behind me the Glen Lyon hills. It really is worth the short effort.


Bridge of Gaur at the trees

Home track with Leagag behind and Glen Lyon Munros behind it
Back down the same way enjoying the views. The view of Leagag brought back good memories of one of the largest red deer herds I have ever seen. Lots of tracks and droppings but none spotted today. The views of Loch Rannoch were less favourable. A fishing trip with nothing caught. A local talked to me and said you don't catch fish here if there is any snow showing on nearby hills and there was, local knowledge.

Got down just as the good lady arrived back from her stroll, good timing for once. I reckon the price to pay for my walk will be a visit to House Of Bruar, coffee and cake and the kids inheritance being frittered away.

Ascent: 275m

Distance: 5.4km

Time: 1.46

Wildlife: Barnacle Geese; Chaffinch;

No comments:

Post a Comment