Sunday 23 April 2023

Blue sky ramble.....Creag Mhor Ballimore

Hill: Creag Mhor (Ballimore)

Type: Fiona

Height: 657m



After missing out on this hill a couple of times over the last year I was determined to get it off my to-do list. The weather was in my favour so lets get going.

I was doubting the weather forecast as I was driving through light drizzle heading to Glasgow. Greyness continued until I reached Callander where the skies ahead were brightening and by the time I arrived at Ballimore the sky was blue, yippee.

I parked up and studied the steep hillside ahead. From the map contours I knew this was going to be a steep grassy ascent and then a long trek behind what I could see from this spot.

Off I went up the track and found the gate I wanted, do not go via the deer fence gate. I had not been feeling great over the last couple of days and that showed straight away as I was feeling the legs and my breathing was laboured. The initial stretches were boggy and tussocky but this early in the season the going was fine. Lots of old cow pats so they get to roam these flanks.


A few steep sections brought me to a deer fence, don't remember reading about this on any previous reports. Luckily it was old wiring so I could squeeze through without climbing. Just after almost stood on a Snipe before it broke cover.

Getting steeper, view down to Strathyre

By the time I got camera out just the stragglers left

This is definitely a hill of false tops, I reckon at least six of them. Every time I thought my laboured progress was nearing the top another ridge could be seen, At least my physicality was improving. Stopped as a Snipe was sprung, holding its cover until I was almost on top of it. Soon after sent a herd of red deer running, mostly hinds but there was at least one stag, for the top, wish I could move like them.

Heading for the peat hags before the ridge and high point showing is not the summit

Finally I reached the ridge and it was a longish undulating ridge. The highest point looked far away with lots of ups and downs. I found a trail of sorts, human or deer I do not know but it was welcomed. It skirted the worst of the peat hags that I had descended into and brought me back to the ridge proper.

Summit is the rough hump in the middle

Along I went and of course when I reached the high point of the ridge I realised the true high point was further on. An upturned mica-schist deposit apparently. Another descent and up but on a glorious day like this it was a case of just do it and don't complain. Another deer herd scattered running down the very steep slopes towards Loch Voil.

Ben More & Stob Binnein with The Stob nearest

Zoomed in very rough ground

Ben Vane foremost with Ledi behind

Arrived at the unmarked summit and it is a cracking viewpoint. Not a lot of snow around but the big beasts still held some, Ben More & Stob Binnein etc. The Lawer range could just be seen in the distance. Vorlich & Co were clear as was Ledi and its kin. What is not to like about this vista, stunning and blue skies to boot. From the weather predictions there could be a lot more white around next week.

Descending to the peat hags. On skyline is Vorlich, Chroin & Each

Ballimore farm

Took it all in before heading back the same way. The walk time seemed longer than the reality but overall I was glad it happened on a good weather day. The views are too good to be considered a make weight on a journey to or from so called better hills.

Couldn't resist adding reflections on Loch Earn just after the walk

Ascent: 532m

Distance: 6.01km

Time: 2.49

Wildlife: Snipe; Raven; Red deer hinds; Meadow Pipit

No comments:

Post a Comment