Sunday 23 April 2023

That was a tough ramble.....Beinn a' Choin

Hill: Beinn a’ Choin (Hill of the Dog)

Type: Corbett

Height: 770m



The skies were a vivid blue when I left Barassie so I was driving with optimism of a better forecast than Met Office readings predicted this morning. En route I phoned my good lady who was in Edinburgh to be told it was pouring, wish I hadn't lol. By the time I reached the East Kilbride junction grey clouds were overhead and I could not see the Campsies so optimism was downgraded a notch or six.

I will describe this walk in two sections. The 1st section is the lower half of the walk via my route and is the out and back section from my start at the RSPB reserve at Garrison Farm to the deer fence. The 2nd section is the out and back from the deer fence to the summit. There are alternative routes for this hill which eliminate this start.


The only good track I would see
Grey skies but dry as I headed along the track leading to the reserve. When you get to the ruins it is suggested you start your hill climb here. I did and I would not expect you to repeat this mistake. The terrain between here and the deer fence is a tree plantation from a few years ago. It is steep along with plenty of tussocks, heather, loads of holes dug for trees but unfilled. Most holes hidden by the long grasses. It is ankle rolling, slow, step by careful step and seemed never-ending. So unless you are a masochist who enjoys this extremely rough ground it is not for you. Although I can think of one or two who might relish the challenge but they are not the norm.

Continue on track do not turn!!
Instead keep walking along the track for about 3 minutes where you will find an ATV track. It is at times rough and boggy. It also at times leads you away from where you want to be but stick with, it leads you all the way to the gate in the deer fence.

Horrible walking

I spot an ATV track
It took me about 30 minutes to get through the plantation and I had thoughts of turning back a few times. I did meet the ATV track at one point point but stupidly left it after a brief ascent as it it was heading away from my direction. A mistake not repeated on the descent, this old dog can learn a new trick.

Finally found the gate in the deer fence
From the deer fence gate Walkhighlands takes a steeper route to the left via some crags but looking at the map the gradient appeared a lot easier by turning almost immediately right and following the obvious burn (Allt Trosdain) up towards the Bealach a’ Mheim. 


Now leave the burn and head for the flat area on right
It does take you away from the summit target but worth doing. I stayed on the right side of the burn where some of the deeper gorges appear intimidating to cross but the good news is if you stay on the right you don't have to cross it. The bad news is that there are no tracks apart from animal ones which routinely appear and disappear just as quickly. The going is better than the plantation but still energy sapping.

Lots of crags to be wary of if descending this way
When I reached the Bealach it was now peat hag ground before the final ascent. Pick whatever grassy rake between the crags that you fancy and go for it. After the brutal start my legs were really feeling it but kept telling myself not far to go now.

View from false top over Loch Katrine. Note clouds on left which was coming my way and quickly
Finally reached the point on my map that I thought was the top but of course there is a slightly higher point across the way. From my poor eyesight there does not look much of a difference between them but one has a few stones and the other a big cairn so it must be right.

Was almost jogging to get to the actual cairn summit before cloud got me
Followed the old fence past the lochan and there was even a worn path at this bit. Clouds had been gathering over to my right, the east, and the rain soon came hammering down. On the top, large cairn, but no hanging about as I had decided to take a more direct route back and I was not ruining camera or new phone so sorry no snap from here. 

Rain easing. Through 1st line of crags but steep grassy rakes ahead, the deer have just disappeared.

There are plenty of potentially dangerous crags so it was a case of finding as much grass as possible and taking detours to avoid them. Thankfully the rain eased as I hit the peat hags where I spooked a small herd of 5 stags. They were big beasts, no youngsters here and as soon as I appeared they quickly disappeared.

Deer fence somewhere down there with Loch Lomond fore and Loch Long behind


After slowly picking my way down the steep and wet grassy rakes I reached the deer fence. I was glad I did not ascend this way, much steeper than my route.



As said earlier no mistakes this time as I stuck to the ATV track all the way down, so much easier.

A good ramble but my legs were gubbed from all the early efforts and to be fair I did not have a lot of hills in my legs. Typical rough terrain as befits the Loch Lomond hills. At least the majority of it was in the dry with good visibility.

Ascent: 741m

Distance: 9.3km

Time: 4.29

Wildlife: Red Deer stags; Meadow Pipits; Caterpillar






No comments:

Post a Comment