Sunday 23 April 2023

Hill that has another hill on top.....Shee of Ardtalnaig

Hill: Shee of Aldtarnaig (Pointed Hill) and Ciste Bhuide a’ Claidheimh (Yellow chest of the sword)

Type: Fiona

Height: 759m



My legs were still feeling the recent efforts so I changed my plans and went for a hill that had some good tracks to start with. This has been on my to-do list for a while but I had it planned as a bike/hike outing but plans can change.

The familiar drive along the single track hoping to not meet anything large coming the other way, success. Parked up at Milton of Aldtalnaig, on the banks of Loch Tay, where as I changed I shivered, it was decidedly cooler than previous mornings.

The walk started by following the right of way that takes you all the way to the Sma Glen if you want a long distance walk. Initially it is a steep start, but at least it is a tarmac road for 2km to Claggan Farm. I could hear a woodpecker hammering away in the nearby woods and soon after spotted this at a bird feeder. I don't think it was the same bird as it is either a female or juvenile, no red crown showing, but nevertheless my first of the year. I also suspect that this is a Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Pointed Hill of Shee comes into view


There is a lower track avoiding the farm, it shown on map which starts just before this burn

But there is a right of way through the farm buildings and there is also a bypass route on your left. However, I spoke to the farmer at his gate and he encouraged me to use the through way.


After that there is a long section of estate track that flanks the north west side of the hill. It gives good views of the barren moor below and the flanks of the Corbett the impressive Creag Gharb ridge off to my right.

You could go straight up the ruined dyke

Rear side of Auchnafree Hill

Attention required to take care to take the cut off on the left which zig zags up the flanks before ending abruptly. If you miss it you will just need to climb the flanks.


Time to get the poles out as the ground ahead is proper moorland. As expected of a grouse moor hill plenty of heather along with tussocks and boggy patches. But there are enough green patches that allowed me to meander between the heather. Delighted to flush a mountain hare, another first this year. Spotted one 3 more times but unsure if it was the same animal.

The broad ridge is longer than I expected and is peat hag ridden but I have walked through a lot worse than this. A faint ATV track comes and goes, at times boggy but slightly easier walking. Keep looking for the white posts that mark the grouse grit boxes and the track should be nearby. But even when it is lost the overall going is fine.

Ciste Buidhe a'Claidheimh rises from the moor

The summit is in view and surprises me as it looks a sizeable hill from here rising out of the moorland in the distance. 

I am alone apart from the many red grouse that rise and fly away rapidly with their comic call berating me for disturbing them. Frog spawn covers the tops of the ponds and although I spot a few frogs in the water it is just too early for the mating calls.

The cleft of Bual a'Claidheimh

I had forgotten about the hills famous cleft created by a rock slip many moons ago. The track goes very close and could be a hazard if descending this way in poor conditions. Still in this flattish landscape it is a fine sight.

Looking across to the Corbett of Creagan na Beinne

At least the summit is marked. There are now views of Ben Chonzie, top in cloud. Also looking down into Glen Almond and the track to the Sma Glen. The wind suddenly increased and it was really cold, feel like zero so did not hang around.

Descending back to the hags

On the descent there is excellent views of the nearby Corbett of Creagan na Beinne which brought back good memories from last year.

I spotted movement amongst the hags and I soon met up with another walker, brief chat, he was including the Corbett, a long slog.

Looking back to the finish with Lawers Munros under cloud

On the descent I headed down the grassy slopes to eliminate some of the zig zag track. Joined up with the out track and enjoyed a gentle descent back to the car, taking the bypass track at the farm.

Just what the doctored ordered. I enjoyed that ramble today, enough ascent to make it a decent ramble but the terrain was more friendly and just what my legs needed.

Ascent: 662m

Distance: 13.2km

Time: 3.12

Wildlife: Mountain hare; Red Grouse; Pheasant; Great Tit; Greater Spotted Woodpecker; Red Squirrel; Meadow Pipit; Raven; Common Frog.

No comments:

Post a Comment