Sunday 23 April 2023

Tyndrum Corbett double.....Cam Chreag & Beinn Charoach

Hill: Cam Chreag (884m) & Beinn Charoach (818m)

Type: Corbetts x 2



Today was my first big outing of the year with an assault on a pair of Corbetts that I have had hanging about my To-do list for too long.

After a big brekkie, too big actually, it was car defrosting time after a serious overnight frost. For once I had the luxury of only a 5 minute drive to my starting point, but slowly negotiated the last section as some serious potholes.

This is the start not the one on the other side of the bridge


Beinn Odhar directly ahead with Beinn Charoach on right

This ramble is not a regular route although the map suggests it should be. I headed up the track to the Shielings which should give me a good route to the bealach between the two Corbetts. I had read about meeting coos en route and it did not take long. Their feeder station’s surprise-surprise right beside the track with little room to avoid them. I got the evil eye but no more and was pleased to get that out of the way, the hardest part of the walk which would have to be repeated later.

The ridge of Cam Chreag appears far away

You can see the lines marking out the crofts

As I headed towards the shielings I noticed the fences on the hillside marking out the individual plots for each crofter. I am used to seeing these further north but not down here. The ground certainly looked like hard work required to get any reward.

Took the right fork at the shielings and the estate track up Glen Clachain took me a long way in towards the new plantation at a good gradient. The hard packed estate track now changed into the expected boggy mess. I am no expert but not too many of these trees looked like they were alive. The bulk of Ben Challum loomed over me on my right. I well remember that boggy walk.

Getting close

Cam Chreag ridge but you don't see the top until you are on it

This was a long walk in and slightly disheartening to be turning away from the target as I headed for the bealach. After existing the deer fenced tree plantation I decided to leave the faint atv track and head across the very rough ground to get to the bealach. Motivation higher as I was now heading towards my target.

Found track and broken fence

Onto the peat hagged bealach I was surprised, but pleased, to find a thin worn track. Certainly better than what I had been on before.

Precariously balanced rock

Foreground the 2 Corbetts from Auch with Orchy Munros behind


Charoch's humpack in foreground Beinn Odhar on right

Now the final stages of the climb to Cam Creag. Initially the track followed the broken fence line until it deviated leftwards but I want to go right. No track for the final assault to the top. Rough ground to be picked through and finally I was there. For the highest of the two Corbetts there was no marker of note. Never mind, the views made up for the tiredness in my legs, that had been a slog. Looking around I counted over twenty Munros and plenty of other hills, quite superb.

Track heads for the hags then find the fence

Heading down I had a boulder in mind as my marker and for once I picked the right one. Just after it I found the broken fence line back to the bealach. The descent was more tricky as icy ground kept trying to get me to heel slip.

Found the fence top on left
Back to the peat hags and from here I could see a faint track heading up the slopes of the 2nd Corbett, Beinn Chaoroch. This was now just a long grassy plod. Reminded me of going up Shalloch on Minnoch but much drier. Further up some significant ice on the atv track but thereafter it was back to following the broken fence to the summit. 
Left to Right. Dubhcraig, Oss, Lui and Chuirn (the gold mountain)

Beinn Challuim

The summit of Cam Chreag shows up from here

Despite being significantly lower this had a trig and equally impressive views in all directions, counted 20+ Munros that I could identify.

Descent with Crianlarich Munros as backdrop

Legs getting sore glad to get off this descent

Looking back to the descent

There was a worn track beside the broken fence so I followed it until it disappeared. Thereafter it was a case of heading down the steep grassy slopes aiming for the shielings track which I could see from a long way off. This was a much longer descent than I expected and if I was only doing the one Corbett I would not be ascending this way. My knees were complaining so I was very pleased to get off the hillside.

Back same way to the coos. Two of them were sitting happily but as I neared up they rose along with my heartbeat. But again the evil eye was the only thing.

Back at the car and quicker than I expected. The couple of reports I had read suggested 6.5 to 7.5 hours. Now I know why I was feeling knackered, pushed too hard. Time for a shower and siesta, not sure in which order. Silence is golden once again. Just the noises of nature and nothing else.

Ascent: 972m

Distance: 15.8km

Time: 5.07

Wildlife: Buzzard; Field Vole; Raven


No comments:

Post a Comment