Hill: Meall Glac Thigh-fail (Hill of the narrow valley)
Type: Sub2k
Height: 521m
The good lady gave me some time off to attempt this Sub2k. A bit of an unknown hill but it had been on my Ullapool list for years and now was its time.
To be honest the reason for not doing it was probably more down to lack of enthusiasm than opportunity knowing it was going to be a moorland plod. The hills around here are absolutely covered in bracken which for me is a natural ecological disaster and not just here as all over Scotland it is growing out of control.
Yesterday we did a wee recce of the starting point as I had no intention of wading through large swathes of bracken for my exercise. The recce ruled out the Coffin Road start but I had a back up ascent which looked a possibility from our low level view.
Sadly the weather forecast was grim for most of the coming week so although scattered showers were forecast for today I went for it.
I parked up at the estates school bus stop, a bit of off road parking spot near Inverbroom lodge and donned waterproof trousers and jacket, protection against the weather but belt and braces approach to the ticks and clegs.
![]() |
| Heading to the V highpoint |
![]() |
| Not today |
My map showed the track where I wanted to start from but it passed very close to a private house. As I passed I was braced for a privacy shout but nothing came.
![]() |
| Estate boundary? |
![]() |
| No way I would go through this without the track |
The OS map showed that this track should take me quite high up but it would also take me away from the summit. It was a compromise but a direct assault was not an option for me today.
![]() |
| Again no intention of dropping down and ascending this terrain |
The track did its job also giving good views of a couple of waterfalls which might flow stronger later in the week if the predicted rain arrives.
On the climb I was surprised to find that there were some serious drops into the gully on my right hand side. It gave me food for thought re whether I would have to descend this and reascend to get to the moor. I was thinking if so, pass.
![]() |
| The ford where I was leaving the track, no path now |
Onwards and upwards until I spotted the area where I would cross the burn. Very low water flow so no problem.
![]() |
| Finally got a glimpse of my objective |
![]() |
| Boggy ground in front before so went to the right before ascending |
It was time to hit a diagonal and aim for the summit which meant backtracking. Sounded straightforward and in some ways it was. But this was an undulating high moorland terrain full of peat hags and bogs. Lots of ups and downs over difficult walking terrain but I was not unused to such conditions. The summit looked a long way away at times, sometimes in view more often not, hidden by the humps of the terrain.
![]() |
| Young Stag |
After about half an hour I was almost there and with just the final slopes to climb I spotted some red deer on the top, at least one stag and 3 hinds. I had walked past plenty of deer droppings so nice to see the culprits. A Painted Lady butterfly flew by, my first sighting for a couple of years so another plus.
Finally I arrived at the cairn, just as the wind picked up and a squally shower smacked me in the face. Good timing!
![]() |
| Looking towards Beinn Dearg hills |
![]() |
| Rain showers coming from the Fannichs |
Although the long distance views were spoiled with the cloudy misty weather they were still more than passable and would be excellent on a clear air day. As it is a stand alone hill there was much to see. The nearby Fannichs, across the way Ben Dearg hills, Assynt Corbetts, An Teallach and much more.
![]() |
| Arrived back above the ford |
I thought about a circular but decided to return the same way. The tramp back over the moor seemed quicker than the ascent. It was still the same undulating terrain but at least I was clearer re my destination. One slight difference was that I had stayed higher but this made little difference until I made a straight line descent back to the ford.
Now on easy street so a slower wander down the track taking in the views back down to Ullapool.
![]() |
| Purple Beech trees had been planted all over the estate |
| I think this is an Azure Hawker |
| Speckled Wood |
Back on level ground the final section of the ramble was a festival of stunning colour: foliage, butterflies and dragonflies.
| Golden Ringed dragonfly |
| Painted Lady with a damaged left wing |
| Red Admiral |
| Common Blue |
So once again a lesser fancied hill turned out to be a fine ramble. And it was a short one so time left to take the good lady for a drive for coffee and cake, I had earned my slice of sweetness.
Ascent: 584m
Distance: 8.7km
Time: 3.09
Wildlife: Painted Lady; Ringlet; Small White; Red Admiral; Peacock; Speckled Wood; Blue dragon fly? Brown dragon fly?: Raven; Meadow Pipit; Red Deer; Spotted Flycatcher; House Martin; Siskin; Robin;
















No comments:
Post a Comment