Saturday 20 January 2018

A winters walk in Rothiemurchus forest

After the adventures of the last couple of days I had a sub 2000 in mind to have an easy hill walk but with all the snowfall over the last few days and still continuing the journey via the minor untreated roads to it were a no-go.
Hi Range chalet
As the snow was still falling this morning it was the perfect morning for a forest stroll. When I left the motel the colours of the lodges against the blue skies and the snow, picture perfect.
Snowy railway line
Just down from the motel I crossed the main railway line and then the River Spey which was barely flowing. The surroundings were monochrome except one flash of coloured tree which I think is a beech.
Calm River Spey with a flash of colour
No pavements cleared here so it was deep walking and alternating jumping over to the road for easy walking but then jumping back when a car appeared. The snow ploughs had piled up the road verges with deep drifts so getting good exercise. Interesting to note from the electronic sign that the ski road was going to be open today from 9.30, hope it stays that way.
Just after the Rothiemurchus centre I crossed the road and headed up the minor road towards Loch an Eilein.

Heavy snow track
Perfect nobody else around and a tranquil walk ensued. Deep snow drifts and every bush and tree clad in their snow coats. There was the constant noise of falling lumps of snow. One large drop hit my head, I wonder if a squirrel brushed it from the tree.
Cold bedroom
I came across this cottage which appeared deserted, possibly a rental or holiday home. Looking at the bedroom window with the icicles I suspect that would be one cold room to sleep in.
Ponies
Further on a large fence and gate, last time I was here it was full of coos but today it was ponies, thankfully some with their coats on. They all came to say hello but sadly I had no offerings for them.
A couple of runners appeared, no youngsters good on them, we chatted for a few minutes, they were from the Lake District.

Ord Ban
Round the next bend I spot some red deer hinds grazing in the snow over towards the hill of Ord Ban, wild or farmed? 
Where's my pals
When I reach the loch it is snowing heavily but I spend time to take in the views, despite the winter scape there is the odd flash of colour to deflect your eye from the white and grey. I speak to some elderly ladies who are hoping to ski tomorrow, go on yourselves.
Loch an Eilein
I’m hungry and head back to the Rothiemurchus café for lunch. I hear a noise and a cyclist goes past on one of the fashionable fat bikes. I suppose these conditions are ideal but I still think it would be hard work with those big tyres driving them through the snow.
Fat bike cyclist
Arrived at the café to find it is closed for refurbishment, stomach grumbles, so tramp on another mile or so into Aviemore for a late lunch.
A superb low level winters walk that I really enjoyed, great to be out enjoying it.

Dig out time
Once again I have to work off lunch by digging out the car, there sure has been plenty of snow fallen in these parts over the last couple of days.
Distance: 5.91 miles
Time active: 2.42
Ascent: 311ft

No comments:

Post a Comment