Wednesday 4 December 2019

Gruelling Tullich Hill a hard earned tick

Hill: Tullich Hill (Hillock)
Category: Graham
Height: 632m
I was carrying a couple of injuries and had debated last whether to do this or not but when I woke I knew that I could not waste this blue sky day.

I have often said on this blog that the Graham category of hills are frequently the most awkward and this one did not let the side down. Another mini adventure on what looked a straightforward outing.
Tullich Hill from parking area
The temperature en route had varied between -4 and zero. The drive along Glen Douglas, a winding twisty very single track iced road to the start was interesting. Only met one car and thankfully it was at one of the few passing places, I didn’t fancy reversing far on the ice. Started the walk at the normal parking spot before Invergroin farm.
Cannot get lost at this start
Followed the sign onto the hill after the farm and here the adventure began. There was an iced terrain track and from the looks of it this could be a mudfest under other conditions, today fairly solid.
Then I realised my GPS had not been locked together properly when I input the batteries and only the backing was attached to me. I had been meandering between tussocks but headed back more in hope than expectation as the stuff was deep. Luckily it was lying on an open area, relief!!
1st deer fence
Continued on this same track towards a deer fence. I had spotted two stiles and decided to head to the one on my right as the ascent from there looked less steep, its all relative this was a steep climb. Over the stile onto the open hillside.
The 1st deer fence is met circa 150m and the 2nd circa 400m, the bit in between was the killer zone.
A view of Ben Reoch from ascent
There was no obvious path and I thought I had spotted a stile high up at the 2nd fence so aimed roughly in that direction. The walking in this stretch was probably the most awkward of anything this year. This area between the fences is a tree plantation probably done 3-4 years ago. There are many hidden trenches and deep ones. Even the tussock ridden terrain was very difficult, like walking on fresh snow. Each step felt ok then the top gave way sinking up to calf and often knee deep. This was slow and torturous as well as potentially dangerous.
Oh I almost forgot, in between the two deer fences they also throw in a rusty barbed wire fence to climb, that one drew blood.
I had to delayer as the effort had me sweating heavily even with just a base layer and a light jacket.
Beinn Bhreac with Ben Lomond behind
As I neared the 2nd fence my heart sank as it was not a stile and I had read previous reports of walkers climbing the deer fence. Luckily the angle I arrived up there allowed me to spot a stile away to my right.
Grassy slopes, top up to the right
Once over this the final stretch was contouring up the slopes. The only views ahead were the grassy slopes until finally I reached the last section and found a path!! 50 metres later it all opened up and by god it was stunning.
The top was just ahead marked by a cairn. Time for soup and a roll and take it all in. 1 hour 40 from car to top slightly behind my predicted time.
Arrochar Alps
The Arrochar alps are majestic particularly The Cobbler but Ime, Vane & Venachar were in cloud. Ben Lomond mainly clear but in the distance the Lawers range looked cloud covered. Loch Lomond impressive but the bright low sun did not allow me to get good views of the other Luss hills. Still glad I am here.
The Cobbler from an unusual angle
I had thought about doing the double with its buddy Beinn Bhreac but I was not up for a 300m descent with a similar ascent possibly back up the same stuff I had just climbed, no way.
On the descent view from top deer fence
On the way down I followed my newly found path which although disappearing a few times got me back down to within 50 metres of the 1st fence and the style. I stood on top of the style looking around I realised this was not the one I had initially crossed, this one (and the path) was another100m east.
The last section to the style reminded me how awful this terrain was.
It's cold down at the farm
Finally the last fence, no climbing and the icy walk back to the car, everything down here still frozen.
Glad I did as the views were superb but I cannot see me repeating it.
Even the wildlife was hiding, just these three individual sightings and all at low level.


Wildlife: Wren; Meadow Pipit; Carrion Crow
Time: 2.56
Ascent: 555m
Distance: 6.5km

No comments:

Post a Comment