Wednesday 11 December 2019

It should have been a lot easier up Beinn Bhreac

Hill: Beinn Bhreac (Luss) (Speckled Mountain)
Category: Graham
Height: 681m

It was a ‘will I, wont I’ decision this morning. I had not prepared to walk but the forecast apps suggested that this was going to be the only decent walking day of the week, indeed a lot more awful weather due.
Once the ‘will I’ had won next decision was where? As I was later leaving  it had to be a shortish up and down. So, I decided to add on the missing hill from last weeks ramble in Glen Douglas and hope that the terrain was better.
Follow that muddy track
I parked up at the same spot but noticed a forestry machine had left a track from here so this became my starting point instead of wandering up towards the farm and the formal start. From the indentations I think this had been one of the nearby MoD’s tanks lol, definitely caterpillar tracks and ground well flattened. Of course the downside was a wet boggy slippy track particularly after the weekend rain.
Still the track went up and around the wood to the top of the tree line where it became more like a quad back track. But no complaining it was much better terrain than its pal across the way.
The terrain was good but once again my mind and body were in different universes. From early on my calves were burning and I was finding it hard going. Unusually for me I was picking spots ahead to focus on, make the hard yards and have a rest, glad I was on my own and making my own pace. Interestingly after the event my heart monitor showed I was not stretched, a strange one.
Looking up the An t-Sreang to the Alps
Despite this stop start I was still making progress up the hill. I think the faint quad tracks helped the motivation.
Stopping was no hardship as there were fantastic views up the An t-Sreang and on to the Arrochar Alps and the neighbouring Corbett’s. There were some heavy grey clouds around which for me meant push on, maybe the storm forecast for later was blowing in early.
Ben Arthur fore and Beinn an Lochain behind
I could see a fence above me which was where the quad tracks went, a new fence sturdily constructed and of course barbed wire on top. A few futile half attempts made me reconsider. From this angle I could see a gate in the fence down below but descending was not an option. 
Helpful rope with Tullich Hill behind
Optimistically I continued to follow the fence as it contoured away from the top and my instincts were good. An assisted crossing point. The rope protected me from the barbs so all good again.
Trig comes into view ominous cloud
I knew that the top could not be far away but no tracks here. Suddenly Loch Lomond appeared in the haze, great view and to my left I spotted the trig, all was good.
Looking north from the trig
The views from the summit were stunningly beautiful particularly the snow covered tops which stretched miles and miles away.
Snow capped Ben Lomond
 Ben Lomond so close over the water. Conical Ben More very white. The Lawers range looked so clear. 
It was to be fair exceedingly cold on the summit, the feel like temperature well below zero so I was not lingering for long. The ridge looked tempting but that is for another day, maybe coming up from the hotel side, on a good day it will have excellent views.
Follow fence to gate on descent Arrochar Corbetts behind
Still back down the same way but heading to the gate this time. About half way down I heard powerful car engine break the silence. Then below came a few vintage cars, numbers on their sides so part of a formal rally. As I descended there must have been at least thirty passing by, not a convoy, well spaced out. Not racing but interesting, all shapes and models but all made a spectacular noise. I found out that it was a 4 day trip from Lands End to John O’ Groats.
Vintage
So that was that. Objective achieved and much less stressful than the ramble up Tullich Hill.
I have just realised that my last 3 walks were not on my winter list, need to get focused on that.
PS: That night a massive and very painful virus hit me, that was the reason for my out of form. It was a nasty few days.

Wildlife: Stonechat; Raven; Chaffinch (flock); Fieldfare (flock).
Time: 2.45
Ascent: 610m
Distance: 5.3km

No comments:

Post a Comment