Wednesday 12 October 2022

A Mull Graham the easy way.....Cruach Choireadail

 Hill: Cruach Choireadail (Corrie of the meadow)

Type: Graham

Height: 618m

Weather has been awful during this short family holiday, but I took advantage of a short morning to escape for a higher ramble.

This hill is normally done as a duo but no time for that today so an up and down ascent. As a single it is normally recommended as a very steep direct ascent for about an hour of pain. Not for me that level of exertion. I had driven past this before and noticed an ATV track that looked an opportunity. A look at the map and I could use this to get up to a high ridge and tackle the hill from there.

The ridge from the start but I am going the other way

From the road the boggy track can be seen climbing away from the target

There is parking for two cars maximum at the track to a mast in Glen More. I walked down past the mast and there was the ATV track on the right. It is not the best feeling to be walking away from your target at the start of the walk but that's what I did. The track meanders up the hill, very boggy at times, even becomes a parallel track at times but overall, a lot better than the deep grass and bracken alongside. That insect bite last month has taken its toll with not a lot of exercise since then. As such I was huffing and puffing away and felt decidedly not good early on but pleased that as I climbed, I was improving.

The ATV track does have off shoots, but I ignored them and continued all the way to the ridge.

Possible to cut across from here

Going that bit higher better walking

Small herd of red deer hinds in the distance
From here it was good walking along the ridge. It added more ascent and descent but worth it for the generally better underfoot conditions. There are excellent views of big hills all around, Mull has many steep beasts rising from sea level. Great views down glens back to numerous lochs.

Undulating ridge walk then the grassy scree climb up Cruachan Beag. I was surprised how good I was feeling long may it continue.


A last short drop and then the final ascent up to the top. An hour 34m so pleased by that. The easier long way around was not really that much longer and a lot less strenuous.

Ben More on right

Graham of Sgurr Dearg peak on the left

Raven comes for a scrounge

Rum Cuillins in distance

A disappointingly small cairn greeted me, but the views did not disappoint. It had been a grey day with the odd blue patch. The close view is dominated by another Graham, Ben Buie. Further afield Ben More with Loch na Kean shimmering light blue, very nice. In the distance the peaks of Skye, Rum and the Cruachan Argyll hills.

The wind was now gathering strength. A storm was due in the afternoon, but these winds heralded the early front.

Back along the ridge to the bulge in middle of snap

Ben Buie

I returned the same way once again enjoying the ridge before descending back via the ATV track looking at the impressive/imposing ascent ridge of Ben Buie. One for my next visit, maybe!!


Ascent: 614m

Distance: 8.7km

Time: 3.01

Wildlife: Meadow Pipit; Raven; Red deer.

No comments:

Post a Comment