Friday 7 October 2022

The bad or evil hill, kind of felt like that.....Beinn Donachain

Hill: Beinn Donachain (Bad or Evil mountain)

Type: Graham

Height: 650m

It was Plan B today. The forecast was for cloud not rising above 600m, strong winds and drizzle. So not the high tops that I planned to do, never mind they will still be there if I get around to them.

It was also my second attempt on this top. Last month I chose to not attempt the burn crossing. Then it was in full spate, had doubled in width and considerably deeper so wet feet were guaranteed, I opted against.

Today hoping for the crossing to be lower I parked up at the falls to follow the forest track which also takes you to the Corbett Beinn Mhic Mhonaidh.

A long up and down wooded walk is the start in slight drizzle, it was already humid and my light wet gear was already making me sweat.


I reached the lovely glade with a picnic bench; I wonder how often it gets used. The grass was alive with Meadow Brown butterflies.

There is a sign and track to the went on to the newish woodland reserve. Bit boggy at times and then the burn was reached. As hoped the water was lower and I got across with only one foot properly under water.

The woodland track takes you to another gate which appears to be linked to a deer fence. The track gains height as it continues through the trees but quite heavy bracken encroaching onto the track. Starting to get annoyed by the beasties in this humidity. Jays were going nuts screeching loudly, I counted at least 4 calling and apart from one bursting between two trees the remained well hidden. I wonder if a predator was around.

The track seemed to go on forever but at least it was rising. 

Scotch Argus
Scotch Argus were everywhere. I reached a junction but the tree depth and horrible terrain discouraged me from a direct ascent. Instead, I followed the track left right up to the end of the treeline, much easier. Spooked some hinds. There had been plenty of scat on the trail, most looked like fresh pine martin scat. But there were two fresh black deposits, very large, more dog like so maybe a fox?



This had taken longer than expected and the hill was still some way away across pathless moorland. I had not anticipated the significant ups and downs on this section. A steep climb got me to a plateau and when I got to the end I despaired as I looked down over Heart Loch. I could also see more undulations to come, the joys. I could have given up a few times today, my heart was not really in it. So up and down across a bog with a few deep hags to test as well. 

Bog Asphodel brought colour to the slopes


Thats the top but first the fence
Then I reached the deer fence. The wiring was loose and I did not really fancy climbing. Behind sat the hill with its final steep ascent to the finish. I walked left no gate. I walked right still no sign, so I climbed a hummock to get a better look. Further on I spotted what looked like a stile. It turned out to have a few slats missing so became a body twisting obstacle exercise, I was getting fed up with this walk.

View from top towards the Orchy Munros

Start of descent
A steep slippery grassy slope got me to the top where a small cairn marks the spot. Not a great view as the rain had come on, the clouds had lowered so it was time to get back by the same route. The drizzle and beasties also accompanied me back.

View down Glen Orchy, taken on way up before the rain came on
The final few miles of hard track walking, with its many rises and falls, I could have seen far enough. Plus both boots had started to rub, no doubt some lost skin to deal with. It was a big hill considering it started at almost sea level with its many ups and downs much more ascent than a normal Graham more like a Corbett walk.

Still back at the car damp on the outside and inside and I had not brought a change of clothing. The box has been ticked and I cannot see a return visit being made.

A shower and a cold beer will be very welcome.

Ascent: 785m

Distance: 14.9km

Time: 4.50

Wildlife: Red deer (hind); Meadow Brown; Jay; Chaffinch; Scotch Argus; Meadow Pipit; Common Frog

No comments:

Post a Comment