Saturday 1 October 2022

Following in the footsteps of the Roman Legions.....Mendick Hill

 Hill: Mendick Hill

Type: Sub2k

Height: 451m
Mendick Hill from Dolphinton side
On my way to Edinburgh I decided to tick off one of me remaining Sub2k’s en route. I had 3 left all slightly different lenghts, roughly 2 hour, 3 & 4 hour walks and all local to my drive. When I left home it was dry. Ten miles to the start showers came on and the wind was blowing the trees so shortest one picked.
I parked in the muddy scraped ground just before the West Linton Golf Course on the right before the entrance. It was a busy wee course today and Mendick Hill could be seen through the trees.


A straightforward route initially walking the tarmac road alongside the golf course before reaching a junction. There is parking here as well away from the course.
I almost missed the turn off to the left which is now on the old Roman Road, apparently my walk is almost exactly on it. 
This was the road between Edinburgh and Biggar flanking the Pentland Hills. I love routes like this, let the imagination run wild and think of who and what tramped across this same ground. The Roman camp excavations show it to be over 11ha, a large camp. Also when the water levels dropped at the nearby West Water reservoir it revealed a 4000 year old Bronze burial ground. Found there was a unique necklace with a strand of lead beads which is the earliest example of the use of metallic lead in Britain.
Finally spotted the gate

Other side of the trees
Through a few gates and I reached the area where I thought there should be a gate up at the treeline. The trees looked thickly planted and I did not fancy scrambling through them. My dodgy eyes couldn't see it but I headed up to the trees and there it was open. Also an opening through the trees to the field beyond, a result.

Out onto the rough pasture I just picked a line and headed for the hill, tussocky but no problems. About half way across I spotted another fence but also noted a faint track going up Mendick Hill. I headed for that and sure enough another gate.
After that I followed what was a decent path up the hill. So this bit well used but no obvious path in the pasture below, odd. On the way up spotted the blue/purple blaeberries the first fruit I have seen this year.
West Water reservoir where the relics were found
Reached the trig and could barely stand so strong was the wind. Feet planted, snap time and quick look around at the very good views. Yet another small stand alone hill that does not disappoint. The Lyne valley stands out below me
Aiming for trees on the left
I headed off the hill following the track but I suspect it goes to Dolphinton so I made the decision to leave it and go down the steep slopes to meet the Roman road near some trees. From this angle I could see a faint ATV track near them, good.
Not so as I now met an extensive bracken plantation. As I waded though about chest high at times I noticed a heavy colouring of pink ahead. Then it dawned on me that it was a thistle plantation mixed in with the bracken. It took a lot longer than it should have and I was glad I was not wearing shorts.
Finally back on the Roman Road all the way back to the start. Passed a cottage with falcons attached to perches. The made such a racket that I took a quick snap and moved through.
Yet another gate that led out into a nice pasture and the arched bridge was built in 1620.
It was now humid and I felt overdressed out of the wind. Still a pleasant enough short ramble, super views and off to meet the good lady.

Ascent: 304m
Distance: 6.5km
Time: 1.44
Wildlife: Wood Pigeon; Great Tit; Buzzard; Meadow Brown; Large White;







No comments:

Post a Comment